So my old computer is pretty much giving me the black screen of death right now, i just upgraded the video card recently so im pretty sure its not that that is broke..... im due to buy a new computer its been almost 10 years since i have but im not sure what kind of Motherboard to get in order for it to work with my new video card.... i bought a Vision Tek Radeon x1600xt XGE with a standard 8x AGP slot...... the motherboards im looking into buying with my new computer are.....

#1 - (Socket AM2)GigaByte GA-M57SLI-S4 nForce 570-SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,IEEE1394,USB2.0,&7.1Audio((Socket AM2)GigaByte GA-M57SLI-S4 nForce 570-SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,IEEE1394,USB2.0,&7.1Audio)

#2 - (Socket AM2)Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe nForce 590 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express((Socket AM2)Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe nForce 590 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express)

#3 - (Socket AM2)MSI K9N SLI Platinum nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express

could anyone let me know whihc one, if any or all, would work well with my video card, and if theres anything else i need to post about the computer in order to make sure? im terrible with MB's so any help would be greatly appreciated, ty.....

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

All the of the motherboards you are looking at don't have an AGP slot, which is needed for your video card. Most new motherboards only have PCI-E 16x for Video cards. Your two options are to either buy an older motherboard that still has an AGP slot or upgrade your video card to PCI-E 16x and buy one of these newer to the market motherboards that you have listed.

Yes. AGP is dying. PCI-express x16 is the future.

are u serious? wow thats dumb.... i love how the guy at best buy had me buy this new nice vid card but failed to tell me it doesnt work with most new mb's...... so sweet ima have to shed out more money on a new one now probably.... sigh.....

Just swap the card for another one at Best Buy. They're a serious company, aren't they?

I find it hard to believe that your 10 year old computer would run that video card ,i know the p2 166 /i bought 10 years ago wouldn't have ran it .lol
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=946

You can still find new agp motherboards ,might have to go to e-bay for one but they are still out there .
http://cgi.ebay.ca/AMD-X2-4000-DUAL-CORE-AM2-8X-AGP-MOTHERBOARD-CPU-COMBO_W0QQitemZ150170303917QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1244QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.