Hi, I just upgraded my computer to PCI-Express, and built it, but I am having problems with it not booting.

Some information I would like to give is: I decided to keep my CD/DVD drives, and my HDD (Heard old HDD's may cause problems with the OS on new machines?)

Anyways, here is the more in-dept look on my problem. When I turn on my computer, all the fans and my heatsink works, but I get a blank screen on my moniter. I am pretty positive I have everything plugged in properly except my CD/DVD drives, which don't seem to work. I have my IDE and my PSU cords plugged into both, is there anything else I am missing? (don't think my CD/DVD drives not working will affect my system not booting, but another problem I would like to get resolved by the help from you guys. :) ) My mobo has these 2 LED lights that work when I turn my system on, so I don't think my mobo has a problem. I am starting to think I may have a defected CPU, or... well -- I really don't know, but I hope to god none of my parts are damaged.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be?

My Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
MSI P6N SLI Platinum
2x1Gig DDR3 ram
e-GeForce 8800 GTS
620w PSU
Windows XP Home SP2

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well im not sure but i just buil;t a new pc myself and had a similar problem it turned on but nothing on the screen. I had to change a FSB jumper on my mobo from 480 something to 533. my cpu is a pentium 4 2.6 ghz 512 mb ram and 533 hz. It solved that problem.

You will definitely need to rebuild Windows (if you haven't already done so).

The jumpers for memory configuration mentioned by PoemBoy are also worth lookig at - in fact check all jumpers against your mobo handbook.

Also, I'm sure you've tried booting without your extra devices attached? yes? And the old HDD is set as Slave, yes? Or if your mobo has SATA disk controller don't expect yur old HDD to work unless you have IDE socketing. etc.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

You need to Install clean windows on new board. Windows doesnt load with previous mainboard drivers on new one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.