B"H
My daughter's laptop, Toshiba Portege 4010 has a keyboard (internal) that only the left side works. The Fn button is not working to turn off the lit num lock light. I thought that maybe if I reset the BIOS it my work. However, I am not sure how to do this or even if this is the correct route to go.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

B"H
My daughter's laptop, Toshiba Portege 4010 has a keyboard (internal) that only the left side works. The Fn button is not working to turn off the lit num lock light. I thought that maybe if I reset the BIOS it my work. However, I am not sure how to do this or even if this is the correct route to go.

first ?,so only the left side works ,do the number keys on the right work!! maybe a default bios would help ,not sure thought , you usually have to hit delete key or f1, f2, f10,on bootup to get into bios.it sometime say when computer is booting, hit whatever ket to enter setup/bios.
It is possible the keyboard is broken you you need to replace it .
Maybe removing and cleaning or replugging it into the motherboard will help ,see link .
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba4010/portege4010_1.htm

I think what I may need to do is to reset the CMOS. I know in desktops I can remove the battery or flip a jumper switch...not sure how to do this in the laptop. Would upgrading the bios effect it? the num lock light is on and the Fn key isn't working.

I think what I may need to do is to reset the CMOS. I know in desktops I can remove the battery or flip a jumper switch...not sure how to do this in the laptop. Would upgrading the bios effect it? the num lock light is on and the Fn key isn't working.

when you boot the computer you can hit a key to get into the bios,and set it to default setting . i think f2 or f10 ,maybe

yeah that isn't working, it may be the keyboard itself, I am recalling that liquid was spilled on it a while back

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.