Member Avatar for san_fran_crisko

Hi,

I have a fairly old (about 1998) yet expensive PCI audio card (Yamaha SW1000XG). I'd love to keep it as it's basically a really nice synth in PCI form and the sounds on it are great. Unfortunately Yamaha seemed to have dropped support for it in 2002 and they have no plans to release a Vista driver for it. There's also been compatibility problems creeping up with some new boards with it.

There's a massive back story as to why I need to upgrade to a new system rather than keep my current one for audio work and have another seperate new system but it would take 700+ words to explain!

So, to get to the point I was wondering if there is any way to keep this old PCI card like using a PCI caddy that then plugs into USB/Firewire (if such a God-sent device exists)? Or is there a way to have it running in a new system?

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Ciaran.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

not easialy.

Hi,

So, to get to the point I was wondering if there is any way to keep this old PCI card like using a PCI caddy that then plugs into USB/Firewire (if such a God-sent device exists)? Or is there a way to have it running in a new system?

never heard of such a thing ,but im sure if there was it would still need the drivers for the card to function .if manufacture doesn't write drivers for Vista then i think you will be out of luck.why not just update computer but stay with winxp ,instead of going to Vista

or buy vista full edition instead of upgrade, that was you can install them side by side and dual boot

To go one step further, dual boot to Linux. Yamaha make the greatest sound cards for their time, my favorite. I am a Windows user but love Unix based systems (Mac). Migration is not so bad, once your on your way you will wonder why you ever put up with .dll's and the complexity of what you use now.

no, there is no caddy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.