Hi All,

I have downloaded some DVD recording software yesterday. This morning as soon as I switched the power on at the mains (plug) my PC started up automatically, without me pushing the 'on' button..? Once it had started the first screen that appeared was 'American Megatrends'? I have not (knowingly) downloaded anything from American Megatrends, as up until now didn't even know what AMI was?! I pretty sure the screen before American Megatrends appeared used to be a Microsoft set up screen (the standard screen that is shown as soon as your PC is powered up)? As you can probably tell I am not particularly IT literate etc. so please be kind with your responses...

Basically has anyone else had this problem? I am assuming the appearance of 'American Megatrends' start up screen, is very much linked to my computer turning itself on automatically? Does anyone know how I remove this unwanted software and revert back to my happy PC. I use Windows XP.

Any help would be massively helpful as I really don't want to spend $200+ (that I haven't got!) getting a professional out to fix it?

A million and one thanks in advance!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Are you absolutely certain that you have nothing on the computer with American Megatrends software?
PCI controllers, BIOS, Keyboard Controller, Data Storage, USB Drivers & Firmware for the mobile phone, RAID Controllers?
These a legitimate files, not something which would or should install without all ready being on the computer.

Are you absolutely certain that you have nothing on the computer with American Megatrends software?
PCI controllers, BIOS, Keyboard Controller, Data Storage, USB Drivers & Firmware for the mobile phone, RAID Controllers?
These a legitimate files, not something which would or should install without all ready being on the computer.

99.9% positive. The start up screen was definately the standard screen ('Microsoft' I think before I downloaded dvd applications yesterday). I downloaded three trials yesterday for dvd record software. I am wondering if this has downloaded something in the background. I have uninstalled the dvd software (x3), but it has made no difference? Is there a search I can do to see if any drivers etc. are supported by American Megatrends Software? Or do I have to go into each device and check individually? Do you know anything about fixing it switching itself on automatically? What are the impications of Amercian Megatrends now being on my start up screen?

I really appreciate your input!!! Thanks ever so much!!

What was the name of the software and where did you get it? American Megatrends IS a legitimate company, not known for malware, viruses, trojans, etc. I honestly doubt that this is an infection of some kind. But for safety sake follow instructions given HERE

Thanks so much!! I'll give it a go!!! Just a couple of questions; I have Nortons AntiVirus, firewall etc. will this affect it at all? I'm still confused how AMI got onto my PC and why it is turning itself on? But, Im sure this will fix it!! I have been advised to uninstall Nortons as it makes my computer slow? Although I believe Nortons can be a nightmare to remove from a PC? Do you recommend any free anti-virus etc.?

In regard to the DVD software downloaded, I will to check my PC (when I get home from work) and update. Nortons stated they were safe so I just went ahead?!

Thank you soooo much for your prompt assistance, people like yourselves make the world a better place to be!! Cheers!!!!

One thing I never asked, do you have some sort of USB device attached to the computer? Is it possible that rather than booting to the hard drive the computer is booting to...USB, CD, something other than normal boot?
Norton's can be difficult to remove but if done properly it shouldn't be a problem. I would wait until this is cleared up before changing software however, we need to know exactly what is going on.
Having the Norton and firewall on the computer wouldn't be a problem for any of the tools in the link I gave you.
I have to stress here though, this could very well be a legitimate happening on the computer, as this company IS legitimate, does provide hardware and software for many computers and it would not be unusual for one of these items to be ON your computer. So please don't assume this is something wrong or bad. You might end up removing a vital piece of software on the computer...needed driver or something like that. So try to get ALL the info you can on this, ok?
Why it is showing at boot...I don't know.
I really would like to see a print screen of this if possible, sure might help to narrow it
down.

Can you give me the make and model of the computer itself?
Judy

One thing I never asked, do you have some sort of USB device attached to the computer? Is it possible that rather than booting to the hard drive the computer is booting to...USB, CD, something other than normal boot?
Norton's can be difficult to remove but if done properly it shouldn't be a problem. I would wait until this is cleared up before changing software however, we need to know exactly what is going on.
Having the Norton and firewall on the computer wouldn't be a problem for any of the tools in the link I gave you.
I have to stress here though, this could very well be a legitimate happening on the computer, as this company IS legitimate, does provide hardware and software for many computers and it would not be unusual for one of these items to be ON your computer. So please don't assume this is something wrong or bad. You might end up removing a vital piece of software on the computer...needed driver or something like that. So try to get ALL the info you can on this, ok?
Why it is showing at boot...I don't know.
I really would like to see a print screen of this if possible, sure might help to narrow it
down.

Can you give me the make and model of the computer itself?
Judy

Hi,

I certainly will. I will do it this afternoon when I return home. I'll try to print screen and send later today. The only other possibility (USB wise) could be skype. My wife re-installed it a couple of days ago. We had to unistall a while ago, as we thought it was the reason for the computer running slow. I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem as I don't think AIM the boot screen appeared until yesterday.. Although I will check this out. I will also send computer specifications.

Many many thanks again!!

Also....be certain there is NOT a CD in the drive, if there is then the computer could be booting to a CD....made by American Megatrends. If the computer is booting to the CD then you usually wouldn't see the normal Microsoft screen but whatever it is that the CD contains.

Also....be certain there is NOT a CD in the drive, if there is then the computer could be booting to a CD....made by American Megatrends. If the computer is booting to the CD then you usually wouldn't see the normal Microsoft screen but whatever it is that the CD contains.

Hi,

My wife did have an American Christian Music CD in the PC yesterday when problem first occured, but not this morning? Could the PC have somehow defaulted to that even when the CD is not inside the PC?

All great feedback!! Many thanks...

Hi,

My wife did have an American Christian Music CD in the PC yesterday when problem first occured, but not this morning? Could the PC have somehow defaulted to that even when the CD is not inside the PC?

All great feedback!! Many thanks...

Honestly don't know but truly feel that there is a logical explanation. Is there more than one CD/DVD drive on there? Both will hold CD's you know.
Don't forget that print screen and also make and model of the computer. We'll get this solved.
One other thing you can do, to sort out IF there is any American Megatrends hardware on the computer and that is download and run Belarc Advisor. Very simple scanner which will give you virtually ALL the info about your computer...motherboard, bios, cd drives, video, audio, and all the drivers installed PLUS all the software on the computer. Takes a few moment and all the info is displayed in your browser, doesn't get sent anywhere it is just for your personal reference. Might give you a clearer picture. So...check those CD drives, be sure there are no USB devices plugged in and remember the Print Screen.
I am anxiously waiting to see if anything shows us the answer.
Judy
P.S. not sure of your location, I am in the US so if you are located elsewhere be aware of the time difference.

I have a similar Problem, but not exactly the same. My computer doesn't start up automatically but when I start it the AMI site opens.
the I can choose between F1(continue) and F2(setup). When I choose continue my pc starts up as normal when I choose set up it runs a set up and then it starts up.
Since the day this problem occured my time and date settings reset themselfes everytime i start my pc. So everytime I start my pc its 00:00 august 27th or something 2008. And I also have problems with my internet, I can't visit certain sites and I often get a warning that this site might be a virus or something. I already checked my firewall and browser settings but everything is normal. Therfore I'm sure that it has to do something with AMI.
I also checked weather I have something from AMI installed on my pc but there is nothing.
can you help me?

Oh I'm sorry! On other websites they like it better when you don't start an new thread when the topic is nearly the same. I'm sorry, I'll open a new one.

I need help. Came home and turned on my computer to find American Tresendrrs start up page. my compurter is ASUS computer. the screen saids hit F9 I did but saw that even before I hit it on the bottom it said shut down in 15 seconds. I hit F9 and nothing has changed. How did i change this. I disconnected all USB cables

I need help. Came home and turned on my computer to find American Tresendrrs start up page. my compurter is ASUS computer. the screen saids hit F9 I did but saw that even before I hit it on the bottom it said shut down in 15 seconds. I hit F9 and nothing has changed. How did i change this. I disconnected all USB cables

You need to begin your own thread after following all steps given in our Read Me sticky
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread134865.html

My computer recently acquired this American Megatrends in start up too. My computer now turns itself on as soon as power is there and the time goes back to 12 am January 2002. I cannot log into most websites intil I reset the time. I have emailed American megatrends asking how I can remove American Megatrends from my computer - still waiting for an answer.

ednick, you need to begin your own thread rather than posting in another person's nearly two year old thread.
Follow the steps given in our Read Me First Sticky
http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/viruses-spyware-and-other-nasties/threads/134865

then create your own thread, stating all the problems you are having and giving full information about your computer. Post all of the requested logs from the Read Me First sticky and we will be happy to provide assistance.

I cannot boot my computer at all. I also have Vista. When I turn it on, the American Megatrends screen appears. It is a full page of info. I cannot get into my computer at all. Any idea as to how to get past this screen?

It is a page of interesting information, the first one. Does it recognise all your memory?Does it show [all] your drives [usb as well as hdds]? What version is the AMI, and what is your motherboard make and model?

It is a page of interesting information, the first one. Does it recognise all your memory?Does it show [all] your drives [usb as well as hdds]? What version is the AMI, and what is your motherboard make and model?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.