I am running my freeBSD with the Microsoft virtual machine. My PC has access to the Internet.. however, my freeBSD in the Virtual Machine doesn't. Is it because i m using the virtual machine? Or if I have to configure the network card manually in the freeBSD?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Well, did you download the image, or did you make it yourself? I know that many images you download have no ethernet built in.

do you have DHCP running in the network? is the unix machine set up to pick up DHCP assigned addresses?

can you ping the host machine at least?

Well, did you download the image, or did you make it yourself? I know that many images you download have no ethernet built in.

i downloaded the image from freeBSD.org ... which is the 7.0 release

do you have DHCP running in the network? is the unix machine set up to pick up DHCP assigned addresses?

can you ping the host machine at least?

i am pretty sure i have DHCP running in the network... however, since my freeBSD is in the virtual machine, i don't know if it can broadcast discover msg and stuffs...

when i ping myself, i got icmp_seq = 0 ttl =64 ......icmp_seq=1, ttl stays 64... and then imcp_seq just keep increasing while ttl stays 64... i don't know what that means... if i control c out ... i got all the packets transmitted and received....

???

Hey There,

Check and see if /etc/network/interfaces file is set up, and how.

You should just need this in there to do DHCP

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

assuming eth0 is your NIC. You can find out the name (if it's different) running:

ifconfig -a

and check

netstat -nr

To see if the nic is up but there's just no default route, which is easy to set up with the "route" command.

Of course, I don't know how the virtual machine might cause you issues. Hopefully you can configure your Debian within the VM and that will do it.

Hope that helps :)

, Mike

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.