I'm dualbooting Windows and Suse Linux Professional, I've followed all the steps to install Wine (I think) but when I try to open a windows program through wine in the root console I get the following error:

linux:/home/lxuser # /usr/bin/wine /windows/C/Office10/setup.exe
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

wine: Could not load graphics driver 'x11drv'.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

why? what's wrong? how can I fix this? any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Are you running this as root, but logged in as a normal user?

If so, you might want to try entering

xhost +localhost

as a regular user, then try running it. What that command does is allows other users on the system (root, in this instance) to connect to your running X server. It's just one example of when root isn't as all-powerful as everyone wants you to think....

ok thanks I'll try that and let you know if it works

Sorry for double posting but I need to bump this topic to get a reply with the following...when I run the suggested command "xhost +localhost" I get the following message:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

What should I do? I desperately need to get Wine to work, I'm using the most recent package (I think) and am running Suse Pro 9.1

Thanks!

can't edit my last post for some reason :s ...anyways, I figured it out *yay*, turns out I had to run it in X Terminal under myself instead of the Super User console I was using, so for those of you who are viewing this thread wondering about this error message too, you have to enter the command(s) alc6379 posted in X Terminal under yourself, not in the Super User Console or under root - thanks everyone for your help! :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.