I'm so new to this and I know I've been screwing up big time. I'm hoping you can help me. And sorry about the long post. If I knew how to spilt that into multiple questions, I would.

I purchased a private server hosting package from some company(Co A). Trying to host one domain(www.freakingout.com) which we purchased somewhere(Co B) else. I don't think I manage the DNS or own the DNS because I need to contact the tech folk at Co. A about pointing that domain to the DNS. Before that's done, I also needed to go to the Control Panel and set up a site for freakingout.com and provide them an administrator(jordymae). When I logged in as root to the linux, I saw that they've created /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/ which is the source for the link of /home/virtual/freakingout.com/var/www/. Anyway, I was able to then open a FTP window, uploaded some files there. And I was able to access the files using http://myIP/freakingout.com/. But after Co A and Co B have done their part(or you call that propagate?), going to freakingout.com shows the default index.html file I didn't see before. It's a whole new file structures different than the one I saw before the changes took effect.

I then su - jordymae, I see mainwebsite_html and mainwebsite_cgi folders. I then saw the files I was able to access on the web in the html folder. I tried to FTP using the root but all I saw was the files owned by jordymae. So I'm not sure if if freakingout.com is considered as Virtual Host and that I will need to modify the httpd.conf file, or what? I'm just plain confused. I've been reading a lot of forums and how-to but I guess I don't understand enough about the definitions to begin with. Anyway, I'm stuck.

Thanks for reading this. I'd appreciate your help very much!

Jordy Mae

13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by YUPAPA
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.