Hi, I had posted this initially in the "Getting Started Forum". I suppose this is the right place. So here goes:

Hi, I have gone through the previous threads on this topic and still have a problem, and that's why I'm posting this.

I have a dual bootup system, with windowsxp and Red Hat 9. I have tried to mount the 4 windows partitions on linux by 3 ways and am listing the problems:

1. Adding entries like "mount /dev/hda<number> /mnt/win_c" in .bash_profile of users. However, because a normal user doesn't have the permission to use mount command, they don't mount.

2. Adding entries like "/dev/hda<number> /mnt/win_c <vfat or msdos> defaults 0 2" in the /etc/fstab. My problem in this case is that at the time of bootup I get a message saying "FAT32 support is still ALPHA" and it takes around 10 seconds to mount each partition, so around 40 seconds in total. I have a P4 2.4GHz machine and this seems too long.

3. Finally I have settled on adding entries "mount /dev/hda<number> /mnt/win_c" in the /etc/rc.local, but this does not give me permission to delete files. Is it possible that this is because of my user permission?

Kindly help.

12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by alc6379
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.