Hi all,

First, I do not know what is the appropriate forum, here or in Python forum!!

I am new user in Ubuntu and I want install Python to complete installation other program.
After I downloaded Python version 2.7.5 , and uncompress the file in the my folder, I go to it with the terminal:

$ cd Python-2.7.5

and run the setup script using

…/Python2.7.5] $ python setup.py install  

But I got multi-comments and errors in gcc, and the final thing is the error::

error: /home/abeer/HIC/Modules/_ctypes/libffi: No such file or directory    

What is the proposed solution?

Thank you..

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Any reason for skipping the package manager? From the terminal
sudo apt-get install python

to search apt repos

apt-cache search python | less

mmm Sorry, but I do not know the package manage.

I used

sudo apt-get install python

and I got:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
python is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgrad

Also, I used:

apt-cache search python | less

And I got to long screan end with:

python-geis - python bindings for libgeis
(END)

Then open another terminal and used the

…/Python2.7.5] $ python setup.py install 

And I took the same errors.

Information:
My Ubuntu version is 12.04

Thank you..

By default, Ubuntu has Python pre-installed. And the last few versions of the *buntu family of distros use Python 2.7. So Python should already be available to you.

My current Kubuntu 12.04 LTS install reports Python version 2.7.3 installed.
And I don't imagine that there will be any critical differences between versions 2.7.3 and 2.7.5, so I wouldn't imagine that having 2.7.5 would be a pre-requisite. Any version of 2.7 would probably suffice.

So Python is pre-installed in Ubuntu. And if you need any additional python libraries/bindings, then you can search for them using apt-cache search xxx (where xxx is your search term)and install them using sudo apt-get install xxx (where xxx is the package name). With apt-cache search, if you pass the --names-only parameter/option, you will only see results with the search term in the package name (giving you a much shorter, more relevant list of results), otherwise you will see results which also have the search term in the package description.

In your original post, you mentioned that you wanted to install Python to complete the installation of another program. But which program are you trying to build/install? And can you post some more details on the errors that you are getting? That might shed more light on the problem.

From what I can see, nothing that you have posted indicates that Python (or a lack of) is the cause of the problem. The error you've posted is with regard to a missing file or folder which is in a subdirectory of your home directory. So this would appear to be something missing from the source-tree. Again, if you could post some more information on the software you are trying to build/install and some more of the error messages you are getting, it would be extremely helpful!

The main work is installing the Haizea Scheduler of the Cloud..
But first i need to install the libraries, these include Python and mxDateandTime. And I have steps to install these libraries and a test installation, and these steps do not include additional python libraries or packages.. Only include the setup script: $ python setup.py install.. If I depend on the Python is already be available, that means the test installation should be working successfully, but it is not !!

Realy, I do not know what is the problem, after I run the setup script using

$ python setup.py install

I got the following: (Sorry it is long but maybe it is useful)

running install
running build
running build_ext
INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers
building '_ctypes_test' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _ctypes/_ctypes_test.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_ctypes/_ctypes_test.o
gcc: error: _ctypes/_ctypes_test.c: No such file or directory
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
building 'datetime' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c datetimemodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/datetimemodule.o
gcc: error: datetimemodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'future_builtins' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c future_builtins.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/future_builtins.o
gcc: error: future_builtins.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_heapq' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _heapqmodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_heapqmodule.o
gcc: error: _heapqmodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_io' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -IModules/_io -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _io/bufferedio.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_io/bufferedio.o
gcc: error: _io/bufferedio.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_json' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _json.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_json.o
gcc: error: _json.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_testcapi' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _testcapimodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_testcapimodule.o
gcc: error: _testcapimodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_hotshot' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _hotshot.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_hotshot.o
gcc: error: _hotshot.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_lsprof' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _lsprof.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_lsprof.o
gcc: error: _lsprof.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'parser' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c parsermodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/parsermodule.o
gcc: error: parsermodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'mmap' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c mmapmodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/mmapmodule.o
gcc: error: mmapmodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'audioop' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c audioop.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/audioop.o
gcc: error: audioop.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'crypt' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cryptmodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cryptmodule.o
gcc: error: cryptmodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_csv' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _csv.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_csv.o
gcc: error: _csv.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_sha' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c shamodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/shamodule.o
gcc: error: shamodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_md5' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c md5module.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/md5module.o
gcc: error: md5module.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_sha256' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c sha256module.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/sha256module.o
gcc: error: sha256module.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_sha512' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c sha512module.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/sha512module.o
gcc: error: sha512module.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'termios' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c termios.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/termios.o
gcc: error: termios.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'resource' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c resource.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/resource.o
gcc: error: resource.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'nis' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c nismodule.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/nismodule.o
gcc: error: nismodule.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'pyexpat' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c pyexpat.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/pyexpat.o
gcc: error: pyexpat.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_multibytecodec' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cjkcodecs/multibytecodec.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cjkcodecs/multibytecodec.o
gcc: error: cjkcodecs/multibytecodec.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_codecs_kr' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cjkcodecs/_codecs_kr.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cjkcodecs/_codecs_kr.o
gcc: error: cjkcodecs/_codecs_kr.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_codecs_jp' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cjkcodecs/_codecs_jp.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cjkcodecs/_codecs_jp.o
gcc: error: cjkcodecs/_codecs_jp.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_codecs_cn' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cjkcodecs/_codecs_cn.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cjkcodecs/_codecs_cn.o
gcc: error: cjkcodecs/_codecs_cn.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_codecs_tw' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cjkcodecs/_codecs_tw.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cjkcodecs/_codecs_tw.o
gcc: error: cjkcodecs/_codecs_tw.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_codecs_hk' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cjkcodecs/_codecs_hk.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cjkcodecs/_codecs_hk.o
gcc: error: cjkcodecs/_codecs_hk.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_codecs_iso2022' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c cjkcodecs/_codecs_iso2022.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/cjkcodecs/_codecs_iso2022.o
gcc: error: cjkcodecs/_codecs_iso2022.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building '_multiprocessing' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -IModules/_multiprocessing -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c _multiprocessing/multiprocessing.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/_multiprocessing/multiprocessing.o
gcc: error: _multiprocessing/multiprocessing.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'linuxaudiodev' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c linuxaudiodev.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/linuxaudiodev.o
gcc: error: linuxaudiodev.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
building 'ossaudiodev' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -IInclude -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c ossaudiodev.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/ossaudiodev.o
gcc: error: ossaudiodev.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I hope this is useful to find the solution, I realy need it. When there are any solutions or comments in order to solve this problem, it will be my pleasure to hear them from you.

Thank you alot.

OK, all of those messages are from when gcc attempts to build various python extensions/libraries. It would seem that it is unable to locate the files mentioned, so perhaps you don't have all of the source. Not sure what to suggest to fix that.
However, I will reiterate that you already have python 2.7 installed. You do not need to build python from source or install it manually. It is already on your machine and available to you and to any other programs that require it!

From looking at the instructions here:
The pre-requisites are Python 2.5 - So the version you already have pre-installed (2.7) should be fine because all of the 2.x series are backwards compatible with each other.

Then the other requirements, mxDateTime and Mako (optional) are available in the Ubuntu repositories:
Running the command apt-cache search --names-only mxdatetime lists two packages:

python-egenix-mxdatetime - date and time handling routines for Python
python-egenix-mxdatetime-doc - date and time handling routines for Python (documentation)

So to get mxDateTime installed you need to use:
sudo apt-get install python-egenix-mxdatetime python-egenix-mxdatetime-doc

And that's your other main dependency sorted!

A search for mako (which is optional) reveals these packages:

python-mako - fast and lightweight templating for the Python platform
python-mako-doc - documentation for the Mako Python library

So if you want those packages you can install them too!

The final optional dependency, psyco doesn't appear to be available. So you will need to download, build and install that manually if you want to use it.

So, in order to get Haizea running, at a minimum you should only need to install the python-egenix-mxdatetime package! You don't need to manually build and install Python because you already have it installed. And again, if you want to use the optional dependencies, I've covered that above!

Once you have installed the mxDateTime package, you just need to follow the instructions Here.

Hopefully that should be problem solved.
BTW: If you still don't believe me about having Python already, open a command line and use the command python --version :)

Oops. I've just realised, in my previous post I was slightly wrong regarding the build errors from your Python compilation.

The errors ARE from when gcc is trying to compile the Python extensions, but they aren't because of missing files in the source-tree, it's more likely that you are missing some of the dependencies required to build the extensions. So you are missing several C/C++ dev packages (header files and libraries) required to build Python.

To solve this problem and to allow Python to build, the following command should do the trick:
sudo apt-get build-dep python
That should download and install all of the dependencies required to build Python 2.7 from the source-code you downloaded and should allow Python to build successfully if that's really what you want to do.

But yet again, I must stress that you absolutely don't need to manually build and install Python at all, it is already installed on your system. The rest of my previous post explains what you should need to do to get Haizea up and running!

To save any confusion, here are the steps again....

1: Install all of the pre-requisite requirements for Haizea:

• Python (required): You already have Python installed!
  • mxDateTime (required): Use "sudo apt-get install python-egenix-mxdatetime python-egenix-mxdatetime-doc" to install from the Ubuntu repos.
  • Mako support (optional): Use "sudo apt-get install python-mako python-mako-doc" if you want to add mako support
  • Psyco (Optional): Download and manually build/install psyco if you want to use it (see 1st link in previous post)

2: Unzip the Haizea source, cd into the unzipped directory and follow the rest of the installation instructions on the Haizea website (see 2nd link in previous post).

And with any luck that should work for you!

Thank you JasonHippy for your help, and grateful to you very much..

BTW: If you still don't believe me about having Python already, open a command line and use the command python --version :)

yes I got Python 2.7.3 :)

But yet again, I must stress that you absolutely don't need to manually build and install Python at all, it is already installed on your system. The rest of my previous post explains what you should need to do to get Haizea up and running!

But why I took the problem, is there any missing or bug?
because I used

sudo apt-get build-dep python

and followed the instructions Here, but do not take the same massage at the final, i took:

running install
running build
running build_py
running build_scripts
running install_lib
running install_scripts
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-generate-scripts to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-list-hosts to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-list-leases to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-request-lease to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-generate-configs to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-show-queue to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-cancel-lease to 775
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/haizea-convert-data to 775
running install_data
running install_egg_info
Removing /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/haizea-1.0.egg-info
Writing /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/haizea-1.0.egg-info

Also, I confused because when I used the following instruction at Python folder

python setup.py install

I found the missing folder error:

Also, the test installation to test Haizea by using the haizea command is not work.

I do not know what is exactly the problem but I tried from two days to solve it, and until now i do not find the solution. So, I resorted to this site because my belief about members helping to solve it.

I just tried it out. I have Kubuntu 12.10, with python installed (default) and with the mxDateTime and Mako installed as instructed by JasonHippy. I extracted the Haizea sources as instructed, I launched the setup.py as instructed, and received a message similar to yours (ending in "Writing ... haizea-1.0.egg-info"). All seems to have worked correctly. I also ran the test to verify the installation and it works just fine. Did you try the verification? If it tells you something like:

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/haizea/traces/sample.lwf'

then you just have to go into the sample_trace.conf file and look for the path to this file and change it to wherever the file was actually installed (might be /usr/share/haizea/traces/sample.lwf, or /usr/local/share/haizea/traces/sample.lwf, or ~/share/haizea/traces/sample.lwf, depending on where you installed haizea, you seemed to have installed it in /usr/local, which is good).

As for your troubles compiling Python, well... as JasonHippy said, you DO NOT NEED TO DO THAT. Compiling Python from sources is likely to be quite a task in itself (probably has a gizillion dependencies), and there is no reason to do it. (btw, if libffi is missing, just install it: sudo apt-get install libffi-dev).

commented: Been away for a few days. Cheers for picking up my slack on this! And a really good, accurate response as ever too! :) Thanks Mike! +8

Thank you mike_2000_17, also thank you JasonHippy for your help, and grateful to you very much :)
I tried number of times, and maybe some packages are missing, thus I resorted to uninstall the ubuntu and reinstall again ..

Yes, after I used the command:

sudo apt-get install libffi-dev

And I used the Haizea command, I found the successful output. I am very happy for that:)
Also, you did the verification with the correct path in trace file, and the installation had been successful.

At the end, my question is: if I use *python setup.py install * I got the following:

error: file '/home/abeer/Tools/scripts/pydoc' does not exist

I am searching now about the installing it, but is it affect in the future? I think from your previous posts it is no, but I want sure about that.

Thank you very much again..

@OP: Thanks and sorry, I've been unable to get online for a few days. Having a manic time at work and at home. Didn't manage to check back after my previous post!
@Mike: Thanks for picking up my slack! Heh heh! :)

Getting back on topic:
Pydoc is used to generate help files from python source code. I don't think its a critical thing to have installed, it shouldn't affect Haizea too much. I guess Haizea's install script must use pydoc to create and install some help files/documentation. Sounds like you don't have pydoc installed, hence the error messages. If you want (or require) the documentation for Haizea, then you'll have to install pydoc and try running Haizea's install script again to allow it to build/install the documentation.

Off the top of my head; To install pydoc in Ubuntu, I think the packages you need to install are called:
python-epydoc
epydoc-doc

The python-epydoc package contains the actual pydoc module for python and epydoc-doc is its documentation package.

In case I haven't remembered the package names correctly, you might want to try running apt-cache search --names-only pydoc to verify their names before installing them with them with sudo apt-get install. Sorry, I haven't got my Linux laptop with me at work today so can't double check for you! :/

Once you've installed pydoc, you can run haizea's install script again and it should build and install the Haizea documentation for you.

Hopefully you can mark this as solved now!! :)

Thank you JasonHippy for your post again..

In case I haven't remembered the package names correctly, you might want to try running apt-cache search --names-only pydoc to verify their names before installing them with them with sudo apt-get install. Sorry, I haven't got my Linux laptop with me at work today so can't double check for you! :/

Yes, the package names are:

epydoc-doc - tool for documenting Python modules (documentation)
python-epydoc - tool for documenting Python modules
python-pydoctor - Python API document generator

Then installed the three packages but the last error is not removed, I run haizea's install script again..
OK. Now is no problem if it is not affect on the work in this time.

Thank you JasonHippy, I marked this thread as solved :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.