Heya. I got my XAMPP install x64 for Ubuntu. Where it has .run prefix. I've enabled it to run (through properties). When double clicked it requested for root privilages. Well, I went Googling. Nobody tells me how to start program as root through GUI, but, people say that sudo su and sudo -i through terminal makes me a root. So, I did the sudo -i one, I'm root now. Now, could you tell me how to run that program?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You can just run it one one line e.g. sudo ./xmapp.run or whatever.
pal@admin-top:~/Downloads$ dir
archlinux-2014.08.01-dual.iso utserver(1).tar.gz
kagbeta-linux32-dedicated.tar.gz utserver.tar.gz
kag-linux32-latest.tar.gz   VideoWallpaper_setup.zip
ploplinux-4.2.2-x64-X.iso   xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3-5-installer.run
pal@admin-top:~/Downloads$ sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3.5-installer.run
[sudo] password for pal: 
sudo: ./xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3.5-installer.run: command not found
pal@admin-top:~/Downloads$ 

So, ugh...

do sudo chmod 755 xampp-linux-*-installer.run first.

pal@admin-top:~/Downloads$ sudo chmod 755 xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3-5-installer.run
[sudo] password for pal: 
pal@admin-top:~/Downloads$ sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3.5-installer.run
sudo: ./xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3.5-installer.run: command not found
pal@admin-top:~/Downloads$ dir
archlinux-2014.08.01-dual.iso
kagbeta-linux32-dedicated.tar.gz
kag-linux32-latest.tar.gz
ploplinux-4.2.2-x64-X.iso
uTorrent.exe
utserver(1).tar.gz
utserver.tar.gz
VideoWallpaper_setup.zip
xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3-5-installer.run
pal@admin-top:~/Downloads$ 

I ought to hear that Ubuntu was user-friendly :(.

Note: CHMOD and root login, are successful, he doesn't see the file or can't run it for some reason. I have it selected as executable file.

what is the output of ls -l xampp*

Edit: by the way, why don't you install lamp instead of xampp ?

root@Rik-PC:/home/Rik/Downloads# dir
xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3-5-installer.run
root@Rik-PC:/home/Rik/Downloads# ls -l xampp*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rik rik 124487989 aug 30 19:30 xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3-5-installer.run
root@Rik-PC:/home/Rik/Downloads# 

Note: I reinstalled Ubuntu, I thought it could repair it. It's absolutely fresh, names of PC and user account are changed.

Why should I use LAMP? Same problem will occur. After all, I've got experience and past with XAMPP, I know exactly how to use it, as long as I can start it.

Your installer is not executable. Run

chmod a+x xampp*
ls -l xampp*

In linux one uses ls instead of dir. You should see

-rwxr-xr-x 1 rik rik 124487989 aug  30 18:58 xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3-5-installer.run

Thanks. It worked and it didn't yank about root permissions. Would it hurt if I used dir over ls?

Would it hurt if I used dir over ls?

No. dir is actually identical to ls in Linux. The only difference is the extra character to type. And of course, it carries the shame of having to admit that you still cling to the shackles of MS-DOS, your previous oppressor (it's called the Stockholm syndrome).

I ought to hear that Ubuntu was user-friendly :(.

For one, as user-friendly as Ubuntu can be, the Linux terminal is the Linux terminal, regardless of what distribution you use, and it's only user friendly when you are used to using it (know the commands and all that), it'll get easier as you get better with it, that's all I can say. It's a bit of a learning curve, but not a long one, so don't worry (I would say, a month or two and you'll be proficient with it).

And second, you are talking about installing an unusual distribution of Apache server and related tools ("unusual", as in, it differs from the main-line supported versions on Ubuntu's official repositories), from an installer (the .run file) which is to be run as root in the terminal. You are not exactly being friendly with the system here, which is OK, you need to do what you need to do, just don't expect the OS to be friendly back. ;)

Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness. - Wikipedia

Just because I got used to dir doesn't mean I'm having Stockholm syndrome. Windows wasn't holding me captive and I don't have feeling for big bag of software.

You are not exactly being friendly with the system here, which is OK, you need to do what you need to do, just don't expect the OS to be friendly back. ;)

If I tried to install Apache and MySQL on Ubuntu, it will probably induce me crashing entire system.

move your file (xampp-linux-x64-1.8......bla bla bla) to folder "download" (/home/user/download), in then properties of the file set "run as a program" and run
ready

sorry, my english is very bad

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.