When setting up an NFS server and setting up the 'ro' or 'rw' permissions, how do the ext4 permissions come into play? Thanks.

Hello,

The ext4 permissions must be in place for read write before you attempt to access a directory via nfs. If you can't mount the ext4 partition as read-write then it does not matter what the nfs settings are as no-one can write to the partion period. Usually you set up a specific directory on a drive that is then made accessable via nfs but you don't have to. In one of my file servers I mount the second volume group as the directory /nfs and that directory is owned by the head nfs user and assigned to the group that all of the nfs users are a part of. I actually have two different nfs users that can access the drive, one as /nfs and the other as /nfs_ro with the second group only being able to read files from the drive but not write them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.