Replies
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Hanif1993
Featured Replies
  • I would say `rm -rf *`. Read More

cereal 1,524   2 Years Ago

Hi, you can use `rm -rdf *` it will remove all files and directories recursively. For more information about the options read the manual: `man rm` and be careful, always check current path, as it can hurt. Read More

• These commands remain dangerous even after they've been used, because they remain in your shell history, with a risk of being recalled mistakenly, for example a ^r in a bash terminal may easily recall commands. I wouldn't accept to have a `rm -rdf *` in my shell history. Read More

By erasing them from bash_history, but if you want to delete a folder called "myFolder" and everything in it, just use sudo `rm -rf myFolder` then even if you recall the command later on, it will just give an error that the folder was not found Read More

Hi,

you can use rm -rdf * it will remove all files and directories recursively. For more information about the options read the manual: man rm and be careful, always check current path, as it can hurt.

Yes, just replace * with the path, for example:

rm -rdf /tmp/something/

I suggest you to read the manual, it explains all the available options and there are also few examples.

These commands remain dangerous even after they've been used, because they remain in your shell history, with a risk of being recalled mistakenly, for example a ^r in a bash terminal may easily recall commands. I wouldn't accept to have a rm -rdf * in my shell history.

Edited by Gribouillis

Votes + Comments
+1

By erasing them from bash_history, but if you want to delete a folder called "myFolder" and everything in it, just use sudo rm -rf myFolder then even if you recall the command later on, it will just give an error that the folder was not found

Votes + Comments
Thanks!

On my system, I installed the hh command from Click Here (shell history suggest box). I can navigate history with the hh command and remove specific entries with the del key.

Another way is to clear the whole history with commands such as cat /dev/null > ~/.bash_history && history -c && exit, but check that the history does not come back after rebooting.

Edited by Gribouillis

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.