Today I just put a new SSD in my desktop. I did have a little trouble booting up the OS because I had plugged the DVI into the wrong port, when I couldn't see the monitor I did end up turning off the computer several times before I finally found the problem. I don't know if the problem occured when I was physicaly in the box or during boot when I turned it back off several times but now my system will not boot. The grub screen does display but after selecting the Linux Mint option it goes to a screen that says ->

Welcome to emergency mode! After loggin in, type "journalct1 -xb" to view system logs, "systemct1 reboot" to reboot, "systemct1 default" or ^D to try agin to boot into default mode. Give root password for maintenance (or press Control-D to continue):

I think I have blown up my MBR or GRUB. I have validated that my boot drive is /dev/sda1.
Any ideas on how I can go about fixing this issue. I do have a live USB that I can boot into and make repairs. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

Yes this one. It usually works very well to detect installed OSes and repair the boot.

Jump to Post

All 9 Replies

Thanks, I'm going to try the boot-repair thing out. Why does the the #2 direction say -> (do not burn it on CD/DVD if your PC came with Windows8)?

Since my Linux Mint is down I'm having to do all this from Windows 8.

Did you tried to turn it off and back on?

Stefna_1, first thing, 500 times.

I don't know why the #2 direction is here. I never had a failure using the boot-repair-disk from a CD/DVD. So you can try it if you prefer this. But why not use the USB stick method?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.18 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.