Contributors
Replies
Views
14 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Forse

i want to downlaod one of these distrobutions. suse, redhat or mandrake. and i want it to be an image that can be burned to a cd. sorry i dont want to complie anything.
however all the sites i have tried have been horrible as far as downloads. useing a T line gives me fast downlaods on even bogged down ftp sites. however i can never get a decent speed from any of them or the mirrors.

so does anyone know of highspeed fpt sites that have the newest versions of those linux brands. Also no sites i have to pay anything for

i want to download one of these distributions. suse, redhat or mandrake. and i want it to be an image that can be burned to a cd. sorry i dont want to complie anything. however all the sites i have tried have been horrible as far as downloads. using a T line gives me fast downloads on even bogged down ftp sites. however i can never get a decent speed from any of them or the mirrors.

so does anyone know of highspeed ftp sites that have the newest versions of those linux brands. Also no sites i have to pay anything for

The slow downloads are deliberate, to frustrate you into the paid versions. Why not try Debian? It's a free distribution, free support, and with apt-get is easier to upgrade than the others. I installed mine from the Knoppix CD, but there is also a 'net installer.

Nothing against Red Hat, SuSE, or Mandrake, but if you want "free-as-in-free-beer", Debian is the way to go. I paid $80 for SuSE 8.0 Professional, but dropped it for a Knoppix-installed Debian. Knoppix has several high-bandwidth download sites.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.