If you want to practice unix programming, maybe do a few unix/linux scripts, or just test out some commands, Cygwin is the answer. Cygwin is the command.com for Unix. When you run it, it opens up a window like the DOS console, and you're ready to type out your commands. Contains the most popular unix commands (and even emulates Unix global variables, which is pretty neat) like AWK, GREP, SED, and of course you can use shell scripting syntax like if, then, setting variables, etc. Pretty good.

http://www.cygwin.com

Now if I could only find a good editor for this besides notepad... :P

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Not really what I had in mind... just installed it now and looks similar to VI. I have to play around with it more...
Thanks.

Not really what I had in mind... just installed it now and looks similar to VI. I have to play around with it more...
Thanks.

well.. the reason it looks similar is because it is what you normally see as vi on a machine.. as most of the time its Vi Improved, which is what vim is.. its a great text editor.. all kinds of features.. there's books written on just using it...

I haven't had a chance to use vim thoroughly yet, but I wasn't a big fan of vi. I guess you can say that I've been spoiled using those easy to use IDE in windows that I can no longer have the patience to use anything like vi or anything console oriented. =) I will give it a chance though, it sounds like a neat tool.

Is it possible to do some rudiamentary X86 stuff with cgywin? (i.e. lets say you wanted to write Liang's stick figure program which uses QT)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.