If anyone ever used dream linux, then you know that its the future of OSs. It's mac like look give it a familiar, feel. games with wine run almost perfect.

I was very impressed with it. And no, this is not a review, I just wanted to express my thought on it.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

it seems the same as most linux distros. I think mandriva/mandrake have a gaming distro. Winex and cedega runs games better than just wine but cedega cost money unless you get the cvs and compile it.

It should be stressed over and over again, that a distibution does not make Linux different. In other words, although Dreamlinux may look a lot like Mac OS X, that doesn't mean you couldn't achieve that look with something else, say Linux From Scratch.

A distribution merely grabs a bunch of software, and packages and calls it "* Linux". Basically, Dreamlinux has a fancy X skin installed by default.

The only read advantage some distributions have over others is that some have more software installed, some are easier to install, etc, etc. There is never going to be one Linux that rules them all, because Linux is so customizable.

Like mikeandike22 said, If you like gaming on Linux, there is nothing stopping you from just downloading Wine.

Can you please just stop? leave me alone. What I like about dreamlinux is that wine was so easy to configure, and my games actually work with it with this distro, I've tried other distros and wine doesn't work as well on those. And please stop posting on my threads jeoprogrammer.

Can you please just stop? leave me alone. What I like about dreamlinux is that wine was so easy to configure, and my games actually work with it with this distro, I've tried other distros and wine doesn't work as well on those. And please stop posting on my threads jeoprogrammer.

Look, if you don't like this, then don't post here. If I remember correctly, it was YOU who got banned, not me. Am I being unhelpful? If so, please state where.

What errors were you getting when you were trying to configure Wine on the "other distros"? If you're compiling Wine from source, you need to make sure that all the libraries needed are installed (they'll be listed in the compile guide). You may also need to add some ./configure arguments.

Yes, Dreamlinux does look nice, but I'm just pointing out that there's other distros that can perform well, too. My favorite Linux pimping website is www.kde-look.org. They have thousands of skins you can apply to any KDE install, so you don't have to be stuck with the defaults.

As I remember correctly I got banned becuase of you, so stop posting on my threads.

As I remember correctly I got banned becuase of you, so stop posting on my threads.

It takes a lot more than that to get banned. Don't get me wrong, you were flaming. It wasn't because of me that you got banned. If you don't do anything stupid, you won't get banned.

[offtopic]Hey, why don't you check out www.symphonyos.com ... you might like it[/offtopic]

joeprogrammer i do see your point that wine can be put on any distro, yes and that all dreamlinux is is a fancy GUI. i too was dubious about dreamlinux but after actually TRYING it i found a very bling distro with a solid foundation and good package selection.

Wine under some distros is utter rubbish. However, to my delight i found it ran perfectly well under dreamlinux.

It is easy to use as its maclike but one problem with dreamlinux though is that for noobs they have to use cfdisk and there lan and sound isnt automatically set up

offtopic but by the way Cedegas CVS version contains only the "free" - not proprietary stuff so the paid for version is always better

I'm going to say this once, and only once: Stop.

The only reason you're not currently banned by IP is because the rest of moderation staff convinced me not to do it. This is your second, and final chance. joeprogrammer is doing what people are supposed to do in a forum: Discuss a topic. If you don't like it, don't post here. Anyone can post on a public forum.

We, the moderation staff, will determine who's flaming, and who's not. If you feel you're being flamed, report it. If you ever get banned from this forum, it was your own fault.

Can we please just play nice now?

Wine under some distros is utter rubbish. However, to my delight i found it ran perfectly well under dreamlinux.

That's just what i was trying to say, wine runs extremely well under dreamlinux

That's just what i was trying to say, wine runs extremely well under dreamlinux

In that case, I might as well say that Slackware is an awesome gaming distro because Wine works extremely well on it. There are lots of Linux distros that work well with Wine. I know there are bad ones, but just avoid them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.