I use Windows 2000(comp1) and have a computer with RH 9(comp2).And have a Lan with Server on another computer .
I installed SSH client in "comp1" .Can u show me how to connect from comp1 to comp2 using SSH client and samba .
Thanks for any idea

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Personally, I use PuTTY for Windows to connect to all of my Linux boxes. You just open the program, and type in the IP address of the server, and it should go.

As for your second request, there are loads of Samba tutorials out there for your perusal. You don't need samba to use SSH, but if you do a Google search for "samba tutorial", you should find some results that will suit you.

Personally, I use PuTTY for Windows to connect to all of my Linux boxes. You just open the program, and type in the IP address of the server, and it should go.

As for your second request, there are loads of Samba tutorials out there for your perusal. You don't need samba to use SSH, but if you do a Google search for "samba tutorial", you should find some results that will suit you.

Alex is right- putty is your friend in terms of a good front-end for an ssh connection, but if you're just concerned about accessing shares between Win and Linux boxen on a LAN, Samba is all you need. If you only want the Linux box to connect to shares on the Win boxen you only need to install the "client" component of Samba, but if you also want the Win boxen to be able to access share on the Linux box, you should install the full server package of Samba on the Linux box.

The results of this (rather broad) Google-for-Linux (G4L) search has lots of usefull links:

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=samba+windows+tutorial&btnG=Google+Search

Be aware that there are lot of differences between simply using Samba to integrate your Linux box into a Windows workgroup (fairly easy) and using Samba in a Windows AD domain setting (more complex). For the best integration with a Win AD domain you want to make sure that you are using the lastest version of Samba; currently v3.0.6rc2. The download location for the Red Hat 9.0 RPM for that version is here.

Hi ,
Thank you but can u explain for me : how can i configure samba in my rh 9(not in my smb.conf file)
Please make it easy to understand .I'm a beginner

It's time for dinner for me, so I can't walk you through the process right now. If someone else doesn't follow up on this for you before tomorrow, I'll try to post more info then.

Hi ,
Thank you but can u explain for me : how can i configure samba in my rh 9(not in my smb.conf file)
Please make it easy to understand .I'm a beginner

Configuring samba through smb.conf is not difficult. Just because it is a text file and you have to familiarize yourself with that file's format does not mean that it is difficult. On nearly every UNIX variant that runs Samba, the smb.conf file is heavily commented, so you know what *every* thing they've written in there is supposed to do. There are, in fact, real-world examples for everything you'd probably want to do when initially setting up your Samba server.

You could use SWAT (Samba Web Administration Tool), but I'll tell you this: I've never gotten anywhere with that tool. It's not very flexible, and a lot of times the changes you implement in SWAT don't actually happen. In the end, you more end up "fixing" the changes in smb.conf made by SWAT, so much so that you should have just directly edited smb.conf in the first place.

Do yourself a favor: Learn to directly edit smb.conf. It's more flexible, you can edit things *just* like you need them to be, and in the end, you won't have your hands tied when you encounter a system that does not have SWAT, and perhaps could not install it for whatever reason, it won't be some kind of alien experience to figure out what's going on with their config.

I agree with Alex- configuring Samba through SWAT or Webmin doesn't always work the way you want/expect it to; setting up your smb.conf file by hand is not only more reliable, but it will give you a deeper knowledge of how Samba really works.

Both Alex and I also work at another tech support site (which is totally Linux-oriented), and our archive there contains a lot of helpful instructions, links, etc. on Samba-related isssues. If you have a read through some of the archived threads there, you'll find answers to a wide range of questions that commonly crop up when learning to set up Samba for the first time. Here's a link to many of those threads:

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=993899&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.