I can only seem to open in Safe mode. (any and all safe modes), however once every ten tries, it opens normally.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern. At first I though it was the DVD drive, because when I disabled it (Physically unplugegd IT), the machine loaded fine. However the next time I loaded the machine the same problem occured again about ten times, I loaded up in to safe mode, disabled, unplugged polished devices etc. and then magically again it has started perfectly for no apprantly reason.

The only software I have installed recently, has been a few games i purchased (all now unisntalled),plus I used a LExar JumpDrive.

Prior to this happening, occasionally when I use the Internet, If I move the mouse to a specific point at the bottom left hand side of the screen (near or on the start button), the mouse goes crazy running round the screen opening and closing windows, etc. It stops after about 5 or 6 seconds. Is this connected?

I have used F-prot (DOS version) to try and scan for a virus (It claims nothing), and use Ad-aware and spy-bot. I have Hijack This, is there a place anywhere to post the report from this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

press F8 when booting and choose boot normally.

I have Hijack This, is there a place anywhere to post the report from this?

Yes. Feel free to post an HJT log in our Security forum. :)

Sorry not made myself clear enough.
If I boot normally, then it hangs. If i boot in safe mode, all is well.
In the meantime, I have run regSupreme which cleared out about 1500 dead entries.
I also downloaded McAfee Virus (absolute nightmare to install).
I have re-booted twice and everything seems(?) okay (Though I havent reconnected my DVD drive yet).
I'm going to post my HJT in the security forum just to be sure.

Thanks very much for the help

I can only seem to open in Safe mode. (any and all safe modes), however once every ten tries, it opens normally.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern. At first I though it was the DVD drive, because when I disabled it (Physically unplugegd IT), the machine loaded fine. However the next time I loaded the machine the same problem occured again about ten times, I loaded up in to safe mode, disabled, unplugged polished devices etc. and then magically again it has started perfectly for no apprantly reason.

The only software I have installed recently, has been a few games i purchased (all now unisntalled),plus I used a LExar JumpDrive.

Prior to this happening, occasionally when I use the Internet, If I move the mouse to a specific point at the bottom left hand side of the screen (near or on the start button), the mouse goes crazy running round the screen opening and closing windows, etc. It stops after about 5 or 6 seconds. Is this connected?

I have used F-prot (DOS version) to try and scan for a virus (It claims nothing), and use Ad-aware and spy-bot. I have Hijack This, is there a place anywhere to post the report from this?

Check the IDE cable from the DVD to the Motherboard it might be bad so replace it.

1. Disable all the Startup programs and all non-microsoft services using MS Config and then try to boot normally.
2. If unsuccessful then do a system restore to a back date from Safe Mode.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.