hi there,

i have some knowledge about Unix and now i wanted to choose Unix admin to start my career. i wanted to know all the basic info about unix. like what are the version's and types of operating system, which one will be best for me. because presently i am doing my master's in electrical's and after finishing my master's i wanted select unix industry.

thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

if you prefer unix, and not linux, you better go for solaris, hp-ux and AIX. you it's a free distro you are after try freebsd and openbsd. there's also an opensolaris, but I'm not quite certain how open it is

hi there,

i have some knowledge about Unix and now i wanted to choose Unix admin to start my career. i wanted to know all the basic info about unix. like what are the version's and types of operating system, which one will be best for me. because presently i am doing my master's in electrical's and after finishing my master's i wanted select unix industry.

thank you.

Debian and CentOS. These are whats most commonly used on servers and most linux distributions will be very simular to these two as they are derivitives of them,

solaris is free, also freebsd(which is freaking terrible and a pain to setup)

solaris is free, also freebsd(which is freaking terrible and a pain to setup)

sun solaris isn't free at all. opensolaris is free, but the license agreement is too long to read na dhas quite a few underwater rocks.
freebsd isn't hard to set up once you know how. of course it isn't a graphical etch/RH/SuSE installer, but it is not worse than slackware or gentoo. and once you've set it up, it is a VERY stable and efficient OS

> sun solaris isn't free at all.
uh, yeah it is.
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp#download
They'll even send you the cd's/dvd. thats how i got mine.
> freebsd isn't hard to set up once you know how
well, how many people have installed freebsd enouhg times that they know how to do it? it is hard. and it's just as bad as gentoo and slackware.

>uh, yeah it is.
>http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp#download
>They'll even send you the cd's/dvd. thats how i got mine.

just read their entitlement and sla docs.

>well, how many people have installed freebsd enouhg times that they know how to do it? it is hard. and it's just as bad as gentoo and slackware.

I know quite enough. more so, every SERIOUS posix admin I know prefers free/openBSD to linux for a production server, and also wold run freebsd as their home desktop systems.

> I know quite enough
i wasn't doubting your expertise, but other people are not as expirienced in unix as you are.

and what part of "free" dont you understand? it says it's free, they've maild me the disks, free of charge, i've installed it wihtout having to pay anythying, again what part of "free" dont you understand?

i never liked Sysinstall that freebsd/slackware uses.

just contacted solaris, and you were right, it is free to use as long as you don't resell it.
I remembered my prev company having to buy solaris 7 and 8 back in the day

>
i wasn't doubting your expertise, but other people are not as expirienced in unix as you are.

I said I knew quite enough people who use BSD unix and prefer that to linux. I have tried to install and setup an apache+musql+sendmail server on freebsd when I was just starting with linux and unix, which wasn't too long ago. and as long as I read the instructions carefully I had no trouble at all. took me a long time because of the manual reading, but I got there in two days and it worked. had almost no unix expertise back then

Why noy just use debian and apt-get its so much easier, you can have a lamp server in minutes

>but I got there in two days and it worked.

ok, there is no way i'd spend two days to install an OS. i would just install linux distros, from easiest to hardest, working my way up, then i'd go for unix. what a terrible installer.

well, that was the first install ever. now I'd manage it in maybe an hour longer than linux. but the stability is worth it

yeah sure it's worth it to you but i'd rather sit trhough a nice graphical install of sled 10 and have little problems than go through hours of pain and frustration. i guess it's always a personal choice.

never had pain and frustration with freebsd. had some with woody though. and suse... let's just say novell should have stuck with netware

Yes, Suse looks nice but it sucks

I like debian. It has a simple but easy to use text-based installer (if you can get through the first part of an xp install then you are ok)

well, Etch introduced a graphical installer, though it was only a graphical view of the usual text thing :)

the text installer is still the default though, and I personally love the text based installer

how can you both say suse sucks? i have never had any probblems with it, ever. that's why it's my favorite distro.

never?

your not like 99% of people then

The updater is suse is totally broken in version 10.2

pretty installation and a nice interface cannot possibly be the only or even main criteria when evaluating a server.
SuSE is much heavier than other industry recognized server distros, it has quite a few stability issues. My previous company used to ship some of its products based on SuSE 9.3 which they purchased for the cause. At some point I came in, had a look at it and showed them CentOS 4.2 and Debian 3.1
After thorough testing the performance of the SuSE server was about 30% lower than that of CentOS and 34% lower than that of Debian. We still chose CentOS since it was after all an industry standard RHEL clone.

The server was running LAMP+Tomcat and was used as a very heavyweight web based file storage meaning loads of HTTP and FTP multi-terabyte transfers.

yeah i think centos is good but i dont like RPM hence my affinity for debian

actually thinking about it, i had a problem with sled 10 Beta 8, the installer was broken in that one, but 10.1 and 10.2 worked for me pretty good.

rpm's are the devil, even tough centos is good, i never use it

yeah, the installer + the updater are major issues for suse. Novell borked it when they tried to make it integrate with zenworks. All the zeniness is gone in 10.3 and theyve reverted to a more sensible packagaing system

rpm's are the devil, even tough centos is good, i never use it

SuSE is RPM based as well

> SuSE is RPM based as well

I know that, it's the only thing I don't like about it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.