Hello,
Whenever I get an update email from Daniweb, I click on any of the subject links and Safari crashes. Same if I type in the Daniweb url. I'm using Opera, latest version to get around this.
This started happening about amonth ago.
I'm not currently going through my router, but it happened when I was also.
Any ideas why?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Dan

eMac 1G OSX3.9
Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Hello,
Just in case someone needs a crash report from this, here it is. I've tried everything I know and read the Apple forums to no avail.

Thanks again, in advance, for any ideas.

Danarchy

OS Version: 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: Safari
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Version: 1.3.2 (312.6)
PID: 399
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xffffffff

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 com.apple.JavaScriptCore 0x961d1f64 compile_branch + 0x2dc

Thread 1:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90007878 mach_msg_trap + 0x8
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x900073f8 mach_msg + 0x38
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x901c2258 __CFRunLoopRun + 0x350
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x901c69e4 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 0x148
4 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a2d038 -[NSRunLoop runMode:beforeDate:] + 0xac
5 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a45c44 -[NSRunLoop run] + 0x4c
6 com.apple.WebKit 0x99213e6c +[WebFileDatabase _syncLoop:] + 0xa8
7 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a6a398 forkThreadForFunction + 0x6c
8 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90024930 _pthread_body + 0x28

Thread 2:
6 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a97f0c +[NSURLConnection(NSURLConnectionInternal) _resourceLoadLoop:] + 0x20c

Thread 3:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000b42c select + 0xc
1 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a22844 _loadRunLoop + 0xd4
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90024930 _pthread_body + 0x28

Thread 4:
6 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a9844c +[NSURLCache _diskCacheSyncLoop:] + 0xa8

Thread 5:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x900171f8 semaphore_wait_signal_trap + 0x8
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000e9dc _pthread_cond_wait + 0x270
2 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a7c4a8 -[NSConditionLock lockWhenCondition:] + 0x44
3 com.apple.AppKit 0x92e7a0e8 -[NSUIHeartBeat _heartBeatThread:] + 0x190
4 com.apple.Foundation 0x90a6a398 forkThreadForFunction + 0x6c
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90024930 _pthread_body + 0x28

PPC Thread State:
srr0: 0x961d1f64 srr1: 0x0200f030 vrsave: 0x00000000
cr: 0x24222242 xer: 0x00000004 lr: 0x961d2018 ctr: 0x961d1f5c
r0: 0x961d1f5c r1: 0xbfffce50 r2: 0xffffffff r3: 0x00000001
r4: 0xbfffd320 r5: 0x00000000 r6: 0x0024ff03 r7: 0xfeffff87
r8: 0xfeffff07 r9: 0x000001f0 r10: 0x00000000 r11: 0x04f73566
r12: 0x00000000 r13: 0x00000000 r14: 0xbfffcf84 r15: 0xffffffff
r16: 0xbfffcf88 r17: 0xbfffcf8c r18: 0xbfffd73c r19: 0x08000800
r20: 0x00000000 r21: 0xbfffd320 r22: 0xbfffd7e0 r23: 0x04f6ee2a
r24: 0x04f6ee27 r25: 0x00000000 r26: 0x0000002d r27: 0x0000fee5
r28: 0x04f73562 r29: 0x0000007c r30: 0x04f6ee4b r31: 0x961d1cb8

Binary Images Description:
0x1000 - 0xcdfff com.apple.Safari 1.3.2 (312.6) /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
0x4bac000 - 0x4baefff com.apple.textencoding.unicode 1.6.4 /System/Library/TextEncodings/Unicode Encodings.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Unicode Encodings
0x4bcf000 - 0x4bd2fff com.apple.ink.component 1.1.3 (55.4) /System/Library/Components/Ink.component/Contents/MacOS/Ink
0x4cad000 - 0x4d15fff com.DivXInc.DivXDecoder 6.4.0 /Library/QuickTime/DivX Decoder.co

Not having any replies to this, I'm just reporting as I go to what more I've tried. Like below, but haven't contacted Daniweb yet.
I also updated Flash Player as advised by Secunia.org. They also show a problem with Java. I've checked in Terminal and have the proper java according to Apple. On to do some more with Java.

From Apple:
Note where Safari quits

If your software is up to date and Safari always quits on the same website, then the cause is most likely a piece of incompatible content on that website. Completing the other steps in this document could help, but in many cases there is no immediate solution. When that is the case, you should use feedback links on the affected website to describe the issue to its owners. You can also notify Apple of the issue. To do that, from the Safari menu, choose Report Bugs to Apple.

Okay, I'm in with Safari. Yay!
Not sure why. I followed the instructions from Apple below and unchecked all 4. Then rechecked from the bottom one by one. Each time being able to load Daniweb, all the way until they are all checked again. Not being very tech savvy, I don't understand why it's now working with all the security settings being the same as they were.

To isolate an issue to active content, you may temporarily disable it. Follow these steps:

1. From the Safari menu, choose Preferences.
2. Click the Security icon.
3. Deselect the four checkboxes to the right of Web Content.
4. Close the Preferences window.
5. Go back to the page where the issue occurs.

Note that many web page features will not be available when these web content options are turned off. But if the issue does not occur when they are off, the issue is probably linked to one of them. You can turn them back on one at a time, testing after each. Though this may not lead to an immediate solution, this can help you submit feedback to the site owner or to Apple.

Problem solved!

Safari 1.3.2 again crashing @ Daniweb.com and now youtube.com.

So I didn't fix it.

Any ideas, other than spending money that I don't have to upgrade to Leopard, which I'm not sure my machines would handle well, would be greatly appreciated.

Others are having this problem on the Apple site, but no answers. Other tech sites I've run into are talking greek, to me, in their assessments of the issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Having the same problem last 2 weeks. Computer is same specs as OP's.

Using Internet Explorer to make this post.

commented: Only person to reply to this so far. +5

Having the same problem last 2 weeks. Computer is same specs as OP's.

Using Internet Explorer to make this post.

Sorry to hear this.
I've read that folk using Tiger and Safari 3 are having problems accessing youtube but only you and me, so far, reporting this issue on Daniweb. Maybe not enough using Safari 1.3.2 on this board.

Thanks for your input. I now know that I'm not the only one on this site with this problem.
Using Camino to access this site now.

Hmm, have had so many problems with safari being so strict on correctly complying web sites I have changed to Fire Fox. Safari plays by the rules, others do not so how can Safari move a mountain? Safari is otherwise such a good browser.

I too recommend Firefox - was quicker than trying to sort out whatever it was with Safari, though now I am curious about it too as I have had it happen to me as well. I mess with Apples when other people have problems with them, there is one in the house that I've been known to resurrect from total catastrophe during FINALS! I have a dead iBook G4 looking pretty on a shelf in front of me...needs a keyboard and some display stuff. I want to get it working! Tip: it's not a good idea to throw your Apple down the subway stairs...

Some stuff on sites, particularly javascript, seem to have a knack for busting Safari. In the case of Daniweb it could be some scripting in the features...likely the type of stuff the site's developers would know about. Knowing that like 3% (guessing) of their browser traffic is Safari might not place it high on the list of priorities. Or maybe you need to empty a cache or something. Who knows...it's hackers! There probably is a better place to ask this question. I would imagine someone more savvy on scripting and Safari could probably tell us what it is pretty quickly. Apparently Safari does have high thresholds for design standards so it barfs on certain stuff. I am not a programmer but I have had to deal with a lot of the nightmarish crap that is their world. It sucks. This is just one small part of crap sandwich these people have to deal with every day. Hence, why I would never be a programmer!

Some say disabling javascript is the key to getting around this. There are a lot of different ways scripting could have problems in a browser. I will try to test it on my end if I can wrestle the Apple away from its loving owner! Anyways, hello Firefox!

I too recommend Firefox - was quicker than trying to sort out whatever it was with Safari, though now I am curious about it too as I have had it happen to me as well. I mess with Apples when other people have problems with them, there is one in the house that I've been known to resurrect from total catastrophe during FINALS! I have a dead iBook G4 looking pretty on a shelf in front of me...needs a keyboard and some display stuff. I want to get it working! Tip: it's not a good idea to throw your Apple down the subway stairs...

Some stuff on sites, particularly javascript, seem to have a knack for busting Safari. In the case of Daniweb it could be some scripting in the features...likely the type of stuff the site's developers would know about. Knowing that like 3% (guessing) of their browser traffic is Safari might not place it high on the list of priorities. Or maybe you need to empty a cache or something. Who knows...it's hackers! There probably is a better place to ask this question. I would imagine someone more savvy on scripting and Safari could probably tell us what it is pretty quickly. Apparently Safari does have high thresholds for design standards so it barfs on certain stuff. I am not a programmer but I have had to deal with a lot of the nightmarish crap that is their world. It sucks. This is just one small part of crap sandwich these people have to deal with every day. Hence, why I would never be a programmer!

Some say disabling javascript is the key to getting around this. There are a lot of different ways scripting could have problems in a browser. I will try to test it on my end if I can wrestle the Apple away from its loving owner! Anyways, hello Firefox!

LMAO!
I've dumped my eMac on the floor from where it sits. But it survived fine. The stairs are not where I'd throw anything this pricey(eMacs are cheap now though).

I've seen too many listings for parts for laptops for sale or needed on Low End Mac Swap, that I hesitate to even buy one though I want one.

Java and Flash are the only things I can find in forums that seem to be messing Safari.
'They' all suggest sending the bug reports constantly to Apple so they might fix it.
I guess I'll just have to pony up the money to upgrade to Leopard. Not sure my machines can handle it with the limited (1 Gig) memory I have.
Camino is serving me well. Firefox is fine, but they have so many security issues, that they now have scripting options and they take up too much time to browse the web, comfortably.

I'd love to be a programmer. Need schooling though. Old fart here.

Thanks for the reply and I'll try disabling Java one more time.

Hmm, have had so many problems with safari being so strict on correctly complying web sites I have changed to Fire Fox. Safari plays by the rules, others do not so how can Safari move a mountain? Safari is otherwise such a good browser.

You apparently know more than do I (not unusual). Correctly complying sites? Safari plays by the rules. Meaning the others don't? I need to do some more reading.

Firefox is fine if you want to go through the scripting options all the time.

Camino and Opera work fine for me. Though there may be security issues with them that I'm not aware of.

So far I have only had problem accessing this site. No problem with youtube or anywhere else.

Used the test/isolation procedure posted by Danarchy. Definitely a javascript problem.

I understand that a commercial site would not care. This really sucks for a Mac/OS X forum.

If it's the Javascript, a temporary solution would be to disable the client-side scripting enhancements option in your Control Panel here at DaniWeb.

If it's the Javascript, a temporary solution would be to disable the client-side scripting enhancements option in your Control Panel here at DaniWeb.

I checked, client-side scripting was already disabled. Then disabled advertising javascript code, still no go.

As a test I enabled client-side scripting. Crashed immediately, did not even try to load the page.

Thanks for the replies folks.
I tried unchecking the scripting. Crash. Tried unchecking contextual advertising. Crash.
Just tried YouTube and it's loading fine now.

It seems like it must be something new on this site.
That's a shame, since I like this site And Safari too.
Using Camino at this moment.

This site now works on Safari. I don't know what happened to stop the problem and can't find the solved link to mark it solved without replying, so I apologize for bringing this old thread up again. Still using Camino as it uses less memory.

Working for me too now, however it takes a looong time to load a page. Keep waiting for the crash but it hasn't happened yet.

DaniWeb got hacked a few days ago using some sort of vBulletin vulnerability, and the hackers got root. Naturally, some changes were made to close the security hole, and this could have something to do with the rendered HTML of a page.

blud was running DaniWeb off of an alternate server while he did a complete OS reload of the primary server. I don't know if DaniWeb's still running off that, but if it is, that could account for the slowness.

Working for me too now, however it takes a looong time to load a page. Keep waiting for the crash but it hasn't happened yet.

Glad to hear it's working for you too. Safari was loading slowly on Daniweb for me too. So I'm back with Camino and glad for it. Loads pages much faster than Safari.

DaniWeb got hacked a few days ago using some sort of vBulletin vulnerability, and the hackers got root. Naturally, some changes were made to close the security hole, and this could have something to do with the rendered HTML of a page.

blud was running DaniWeb off of an alternate server while he did a complete OS reload of the primary server. I don't know if DaniWeb's still running off that, but if it is, that could account for the slowness.

Sorry to hear that. They're hacking phones in unbelievable ways now too.
But this problem went back months ago when there were a lot of java problems and Daniweb had changed the site.

I think, just my uneducated opinion, that Safari, on OS X3.9 is just slow and a memory hog. Daniweb loads fine on Camino.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh.
Thanks to whomever added the "Solved" to my post.
I still can't find the link to do so.

>But this problem went back months ago when there were
>a lot of java problems and Daniweb had changed the site.

No, what I mean is that the changes made after we were hacked might have (unintentionally) fixed the crashing problem on Safari. Who knows.

>Thanks to whomever added the "Solved" to my post.
>I still can't find the link to do so.

You're welcome. You can change the solved/unsolved status of threads that you've created at the bottom of the page (and, as you've noticed, so can moderators):

commented: Fixed my misunderstanding of what he said in a previous post +5

Thanks John A,
For clearing up my misunderstanding of your post.

And thanks for taking care of the 'Solved" issue.

I used to see those choices like you had on the mini grab shot. Couldn't read that part since it was so small. But I can't see those options on any part of the page in Camino or Safari. I'll try Opera and Firefox. Firefox doesn't show those options either. Just additional options, which doesn't cover the solved option. Nor do I see the other icons, like the flame or pencil.

Dan

>Couldn't read that part since it was so small.

It's actually a thumbnail; clicking on it will reveal a larger image. I'm reasonably sure that the "Mark as Solved/Unsolved" link appears beside the "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom of pages for moderators and regular members alike.

In any case, here's the full view of what I see:

>Couldn't read that part since it was so small.

It's actually a thumbnail; clicking on it will reveal a larger image. I'm reasonably sure that the "Mark as Solved/Unsolved" link appears beside the "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom of pages for moderators and regular members alike.

In any case, here's the full view of what I see:

Thanks John,
I was an idiot and didn't discover your thumbnail until after. It enlarged after I clicked it.
But I still do Not have that option that we spoke of. Maybe it's the browser that I use, Camino.
Ther e is no option, maybe Camino, to mark posts with icons. I've tried Safari, Camino, Firefox and Opera. Maybe it's my outdated machine. Hope not.
eMac 1Gh 1024 ram and running on Charter.net @ 5mg

Thanks for your reply,
Dan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.