Finally retiring old PowerPro 225 running OS 8.5. Getting a bomb on startup with message that there is a bus error. Will boot with original CD, but won't allow a reinstall, stating that the hard drive is locked. Will boot with extensions disabled, but can't get on network to copy old files to new drive. Have tried Conflict Catcher, but it can't get past the first test. I sense that if I unlock the hard drive, the problem will correct itself. How do I do that? The info box doesn't have a "Lock" checkbox.

Hi Hope I can help. I have had the same problem with Mac 7100 O/S .8.6. All you get is the flashing ?. If this is a table top. The hard drive is stuck from lack of use. Or been UN Plugged for some time. Press the start button and with the handle of a screw driver give the case just pass the center a good whack. Don’t be scared to whack it two or three times. If it does not start up try again. I know this sounds rough treatment but it should work. If Not then remove the case cover you will be able to see the hard drive. Press start and whack on top of the hard drive. You should hear the hard drive start. Best of luck Norm.

Hi Hope I can help. I have had the same problem with Mac 7100 O/S .8.6. All you get is the flashing ?. If this is a table top. The hard drive is stuck from lack of use. Or been UN Plugged for some time. Press the start button and with the handle of a screw driver give the case just pass the center a good whack. Don’t be scared to whack it two or three times. If it does not start up try again. I know this sounds rough treatment but it should work. If Not then remove the case cover you will be able to see the hard drive. Press start and whack on top of the hard drive. You should hear the hard drive start. Best of luck Norm.

You are so right! My only reason for keeping this CPU was to use the ancient scanner hooked into it. Having not heard from anyone, I re-installed the original operating software and donated it. Giving it a good whack would probably have done the the trick.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.