Hi, I have had advice on another forum: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post512196-3.html that I could transfer my data from my dead XP Pro to a new PC using a powered ATA/IDE to USB 2 connector from my XP system's hard drive to the new machine.

The problem is that the new machine is running Vista Home OS. And that does not have Outlook or Outlook Express it has Windows Mail. I have set up a number of user accounts and would like to be able to provide the existing users with their data files from the XP machine.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this. Apart from Office 2003 data files which could be simply copied the main problem would seem to be the email PSD files

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi, I have had advice on another forum: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post512196-3.html that I could transfer my data from my dead XP Pro to a new PC using a powered ATA/IDE to USB 2 connector from my XP system's hard drive to the new machine.

The problem is that the new machine is running Vista Home OS. And that does not have Outlook or Outlook Express it has Windows Mail. I have set up a number of user accounts and would like to be able to provide the existing users with their data files from the XP machine.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this. Apart from Office 2003 data files which could be simply copied the main problem would seem to be the email PSD files

Just find the appropriate .wab (OE) files or the .pst Outlook) files and use the Windows mail import function.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/26079ffc-a56f-46aa-b1e8-fcfc9f60be4b1033.mspx

Thanks hughv
As i have the hard drive out I thought I would try to use Windows Easy File Transfer. Several hours later! It completed, but I can't find any files on the new PC. I have tried to find any large files using the 100files program from www.files.net but can't find anything very large that might account for the lost space. The copied files seem to have disappeared. Although the new 500GB hard drive on the Visa machine has used 124GB of space. I also reinstalled Office 2003.

I'll now do what you suggested!

geoff

I've never liked those transfer programs because they're slow and confusing.
I bet you'll find those files in some new identity in Docs and Settings that you didn't mean to create. Look there for all (most) of your files.
It's much easier and faster to import the mail and just copy the files.

Thanks hughv, I located the appropriate file and was to told I do not have permission! So I copied the file to a jumpdrive and used that without any problems.
I have not managed to spend any time locating where the files in the Easy File Transfer went, but will report when I do so.

visit www.pcmigrationkit.com

There's a great deal on 3 products that will get the job done for you. Plus the products will help keep Visat and/or XP running smooth.

There's a great deal on 3 products that will get the job done for you. Plus the products will help keep Visat and/or XP running smooth.

I'd hesitate to spend $80.00 for software that is only used once and is completely
unnecessary. A clean install sounds much better to me.

On the contrary... the products can be used beyond getting your files moved that one time.

You'll probably install and uninstall products over the life of your system, Your Uninstaller is good for that. And partitioning hard drives, as well as deframenting and all the other hard drive maintenance is something that needs to be a part of on going maintenance. PC mover, beyond the initial move, is a good tool to take applications off your system to install again when you want complete with all the settings you want.

I'd hesitate to spend $80.00 for software that is only used once and is completely
unnecessary. A clean install sounds much better to me.

That's your third post about this software, so I suspect that there's a profit motive involved here. Care to enlighten us about your real agenda?
This software is unnecessary, unproven and expensive. No sale.

Thanks for the suggestion but my problem, that Hughv has solved for me was that the PC was inaccessible due to a heat sink bracket failure and I needed to get the data off the hard drive on to a new PC that is a Vista machine.

There is no information, on the quoted website, about whether pcmigration kit could solve that particular problem.

I am also concerned that 'The Terms of Use' for the software is not posted on the website. The relevant webpage just has a message 'coming soon'.

Hi friend,
you could install the old hard drive as a slave in the new machine - setting the jumper to slave. However, unless you have a lot of stuff in My Documents, wouldn't it be easier to back the stuff up to a flash drive or external hard drive?And yes, you could use the old hard drive for storage after formatting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.