Can someone please help me? After deleting what was in my preferences folder I restarted the computer and now my administrator account has been removed from my login screen. The only access I have is a guest user account I had created apart from the administrator. Unfortunately it has limited access to any of the system preferences and doesn't even have a password to change settings. I know there's a way to create a new administrator user, but if I can't even access it in the system preferences (it's greyed out) how am I supposed to? Also my iTunes and other programs aren't working either but I suspect if I fix this other problem that those will work themselves out.
Basically, I'm missing an administrator account in my Panther OS and the only one I have is a limited guest user. My folders from the "now erased" administrator account are still there, along w/ everything else. I'd like to be able to access them again somehow. Can anyone help? thanx.

Reznuel

Unless you have root enabled, you only have 2 options.

Learn to use "nicl" and "niutil" on the command line of Single User Mode, or backup what you can and do and erase and reinstall.

Oh, I suppose you could try and remove /var/db/.AppleSetupDone, but I wouldn't put too much stock into that working properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.