Can someone please help me? After deleting what was in my preferences folder I restarted the computer and now my administrator account has been removed from my login screen. The only access I have is a guest user account I had created apart from the administrator. Unfortunately it has limited access to any of the system preferences and doesn't even have a password to change settings. I know there's a way to create a new administrator user, but if I can't even access it in the system preferences (it's greyed out) how am I supposed to? Also my iTunes and other programs aren't working either but I suspect if I fix this other problem that those will work themselves out.
Basically, I'm missing an administrator account in my Panther OS and the only one I have is a limited guest user. My folders from the "now erased" administrator account are still there, along w/ everything else. I'd like to be able to access them again somehow. Can anyone help? thanx.

13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by yellow

Unless you have root enabled, you only have 2 options.

Learn to use "nicl" and "niutil" on the command line of Single User Mode, or backup what you can and do and erase and reinstall.

Oh, I suppose you could try and remove /var/db/.AppleSetupDone, but I wouldn't put too much stock into that working properly.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.