Everytime I start Photoshop, just as the intro window closes, it crashes with the message "Unable to initialize photoshop because of a program error." When I log in as another user, however, this doesn't happen. I've reinstalled multiple times to no avail. I'm trying to avoid a total system reinstall. Regretably I'm not UNIX savvy. Can anyone decipher this crash log or point me in some sort of direction?

Many thanks,
Kris Poorbaugh

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

sir i m sorry to guide as i m also new to linux

Hello,

I am not an avid Crashlog reader... those things are for programmers that have debuggers and tools to properly determine what happened.

But you mention that your Photoshop program works correctly when you login as a different user... so there has to be something wrong with your current profile.

Take a look at the Accounts control panel, and see if you have anything special/weird starting up that might conflict with Photoshop. I do not think that a re-install is necessaray. Also, run the disk utility, and check for permissions that might be out of whack.

Worst case, you may need to delete the account you are working with, and then re-create it. Be sure to save off your internet settings, and other profile specific information, such as emails and address books before doing the deletion. Also, do not copy all of the hidden/cryptic files back and forth; you might copy the corruption into the new account.

Also, Mac OS X is not Linux based... it is based on the BSD Unix, which has a similar "look and feel" as linux, but the filesystems are different, and the internal guts are different. IN terms of stability, I have seen equally excellent results with both.

The GUI (look and feel) of Mac OS X is special to the Macintosh. While the BSD underpinnings may be used elsewhere, the Aqua (look and feel) part of Mac OS X is what makes the Mac special.

Christian

I'd start by removing the preference file for photoshop.

/Users/your_user_name/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

Post the entirety of the last entry in the crashlog if this doesn't work. It's not too hard to learn to read crashlogs to look for clues.

Try reinstalling it. tha fixed mine when it said that. :o

He did try reinstalling and it didn't work. Did removing the .plist work? Your .plist might be named differently, because you didn't say it was Photoshop CS.

Thanks for posting the crashlog, frankly it's the weirdest one I've ever seen. Do you, by any chance, have Virex 7.5.1 running?

Thanks for your Quote, it did help me as well. i had the same problem and found the answer here from you. thanks once again

Kim

Hello,

I am not an avid Crashlog reader... those things are for programmers that have debuggers and tools to properly determine what happened.

But you mention that your Photoshop program works correctly when you login as a different user... so there has to be something wrong with your current profile.

Take a look at the Accounts control panel, and see if you have anything special/weird starting up that might conflict with Photoshop. I do not think that a re-install is necessaray. Also, run the disk utility, and check for permissions that might be out of whack.

Worst case, you may need to delete the account you are working with, and then re-create it. Be sure to save off your internet settings, and other profile specific information, such as emails and address books before doing the deletion. Also, do not copy all of the hidden/cryptic files back and forth; you might copy the corruption into the new account.

Also, Mac OS X is not Linux based... it is based on the BSD Unix, which has a similar "look and feel" as linux, but the filesystems are different, and the internal guts are different. IN terms of stability, I have seen equally excellent results with both.

The GUI (look and feel) of Mac OS X is special to the Macintosh. While the BSD underpinnings may be used elsewhere, the Aqua (look and feel) part of Mac OS X is what makes the Mac special.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.