Everytime I try to install something on my iMac G-3 it says "Classic can not find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use," and then it says "You may need to install Mac OS 9.1 or later on your computer. To select a system folder on another Volume, click open classic preferences," but when I click on it it says that there are no system folders to choose. And it does this even when I'm trying to install Mac OS 9.1
I don't know what to do, this is my first Mac and I'm getting really frustrated and upset. :evil: Please help :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

James,

Is this still a current topic? I have some ideas for you. Need to know if you have partitioned your hard drive, and if you can boot into OS 9 or not. Would like to help if the problem remains.

Christian

James,

Is this still a current topic? I have some ideas for you. Need to know if you have partitioned your hard drive, and if you can boot into OS 9 or not. Would like to help if the problem remains.

Christian

I am a fairly new Mac user and am having the exact same issue. I want to upgrade my older 350mhz iMac to Panther and need to upgrade my firmware first. Can't do it though because I am getting the same error message about not be able to run the classic environment. Please help. Thanks in advance!!!

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in Panther, you have to install Classic, and once the OS9 system folder is installed, you need to go into System Preferences and tell it where the OS9 system folder is before you can run classic. Or else it will give you that error message. OK I don't think that solves your problem though, but it's all I know about this. (I'm a new maccie).

Hello,

If you have classic properly installed, you should be able to go to the System Preferences menu, and choose Startup Disk. You should see that Classic installation there, and be able to select it,and boot into Mac OS 9. Once you boot into Classic, (and you will see the difference), try running that firmware upgrade.

I do not have a machine that qualifies for the firmware upgrade, so I cannot comment on exactly how to do it.

Christian

Hello could help if you buy another classic program because I think the present disc is in damage try whit another one the only one with classic is macos x 10.1.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.