Hello,

Dani, our System Administrator, has created a new forum called Mac Tips and Tricks. I'd love to write about a number of things concerning the Macintosh, but being at the administrator level for so many years, I may be a bit out of touch on what new people would like to read about.

I am thinking on writing about:

OS 9 --> X conversions
Partitioning and why it is smart
Networking peer to peer and to a server
Working with other Operating Systems
Classic and OS X
Security
General FAQ

Please post to this thread what you would like to see covered. Starting June 20, I will pick up my pen and begin writing. :) Of course, if other members would like to author a topic, by all means go for it!

Thanks a bundle,

Christian

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'd like to see some tricks and tweaks that could make my mac more unix-like and take full advantage of its bsd core. What can I use aside from fink? How can I compile my favorite *nix programs to work on my new mac? How can I install a desktop environment such as KDE or Gnome, or can I at all?

Hello,

Dani, our System Administrator, has created a new forum called Mac Tips and Tricks. I'd love to write about a number of things concerning the Macintosh, but being at the administrator level for so many years, I may be a bit out of touch on what new people would like to read about.

OS 9 --> X conversions
Classic and OS X
Security
General FAQ

Please post to this thread what you would like to see covered. Starting June 20, I will pick up my pen and begin writing. :) Of course, if other members would like to author a topic, by all means go for it!

Thanks a bundle,

Christian

Hello.
Of your choices (I have many) and still a new user, I would be interested in why format, then how. Security and FAQ.
Good Luck with it.
Dan

Hello,

OS 9 --> X conversions
Classic and OS X
Security
General FAQ

Thanks a bundle,

Christian

I'd like to hear more about security. Also, I'd like to hear something about antivirus software, as I ran into an interesting problem with my Palm handheld recently while Beta testing Virex 7.5. With Virex 7.5 installed my Palm would not sync, so I had to uninstall it, which leaves me kinda vulnerable. I haven't had any other problems with my Mac that I didnt figure out.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.