HELP!!!

I have Windows XP and Office 2003.

When doing a spelling and grammar check in Word, I occasionally get a "comparison - revise text?" error on text. I have no idea what this error means, or how to correct it. The text looks fine. All of the tenses, persons, numbers, and other grammatical points match. It gives me the error every time I compare two values verbally in what is to become a mathematics text.

Since I don't know what kind of error this is, I don't know if I am making a grammatical error I don't recognize, or if I am violating some provision of the Politically Correct religion that Microsoft likes to cram down people's throats (such as using gender-specific wording).

(It also once wanted me to change the word "black" (in an accounting balance sheet) to "African-American.")

What does this mean?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

HELP!!!

I have Windows XP and Office 2003.

When doing a spelling and grammar check in Word, I occasionally get a "comparison - revise text?" error on text. I have no idea what this error means, or how to correct it. The text looks fine. All of the tenses, persons, numbers, and other grammatical points match. It gives me the error every time I compare two values verbally in what is to become a mathematics text.

Since I don't know what kind of error this is, I don't know if I am making a grammatical error I don't recognize, or if I am violating some provision of the Politically Correct religion that Microsoft likes to cram down people's throats (such as using gender-specific wording).

(It also once wanted me to change the word "black" (in an accounting balance sheet) to "African-American.")
What does this mean?

I don't have Office 2003 so I am not sure if the following will be helpful or not.

You might find this article worth reading - I know it references Word 2007 certainly the option of setting the Grammar and Style options is present in Office 2003. Not sure how to get to it though.

http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/carols_corner_office/2007/20070718_being_politically_correct_in_ms_word.htm

In Office 2002 the settings can be found by opening a new Office document.
1. Click on Tools
2 From the drop down menu click on Options
3 Click on the Spelling and Grammar tab
4 In the Grammar section click on Settings

The chances are you have options checked in the Style section that are giving you problems (specifically with the PC stuff). You should be able to set the Writing Style from the drop down menu to check either Grammar or Grammar and Style. You should also be able to customize the Grammar and style options by selecting only the options you want enabled.

Nope. I know how to do that. I want to know what kind of grammar error this is referring to.

Nope. I know how to do that. I want to know what kind of grammar error this is referring to.

I apologize if I didn't understand the question correctly.

According to Microsoft Certain templates were developed for Microsoft Corporation by Impressa Systems. Santa Rosa, California. Import/Export converters 1988-1998 DataViz, Inc at www.dataviz.com.

Specifically for the English Language -
Portions of International CorrectSpell spelling correction system 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V.

English thesaurus content developed for Micorsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V.

There are many other languages, dictionaries and proofing tools that Microsoft supports as well. Not to mention the 15 other iterations of English which include Australia, Canada, U.K., South Africa and New Zealand to name a few.

Of course you're free to believe it is Microsoft that is dictating the political correctness and grammar interpretations if you wish. Or you can believe as I do that Microsoft applies for licenses to material that is already published and in current use. I highly doubt MS gives one whit about political correctness in any of the many countries and languages it supports. The tools provided by Microsoft are based on country of origin and that countries standards. None of which Microsoft has any control over.

To understand the relevance of the message "comparison text - revise edit?" I would suggest that Office has done a comparison of the text against the tools available and has most likely come up with various options using the language resource tools for you to consider. I do agree that the message text could have been more forth coming with an explanation. You might want to try F1 for help when the message appears.

This is still confusing.

I still need the answer to this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.