Several times a day, and with greater fequency now, my computer freezes on me. The mouse clicker stops in the middle of the screen and does not move. Nothing moves. I press the number lock key to see if the keyboard is responsive. Nothing. I do the old control alt delete combo. Absolutley nothing. Its frozen. So I have to restart the computer. Every time I do, when its starts up, the desktop image is not there and it is just a white screen that says active desktop recovery. When I try to restore it, a message pops up that says "an error has occurred in the script". I still can't recover it. Also, when I try to burn cds, it instantly freezes. A week ago I asked about it on Yahoo answers and someone replied and said that I should run it through a registry cleaner. I downloaded a free one and did that, as well as a registry defrag. I ran them, and then tried to burn a cd. It worked. My computer didn't freeze for a couple of days and it was good. But now, it is doing it again. And it seems to be doing it more often. I would like to catch this before it completely crashes my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have an emachines computer with windows xp. 1.66 ghz 736 mb ram

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by lizardcakes

Sounds like a trojan/virus to me. The clue lies in the temporary respite by using the registry cleaner.

You should go to the Virus forum, read the first three sticky posts and post a HJT log there for checking.

Befire you do that, dwnload SpyBot, run it and let that have a look see.

Sounds like a trojan/virus to me. The clue lies in the temporary respite by using the registry cleaner.

You should go to the Virus forum, read the first three sticky posts and post a HJT log there for checking.

Befire you do that, dwnload SpyBot, run it and let that have a look see.

Ok, I just ran spybot and I had a couple of cookie trackers. I'm going to read those stickies and figure out how to post one of the hijack this logs. Thank you.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.