After a reboot/restart it says:

The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

It takes me a long time to get an Internet connection often and some of my card games (from a Hoyle CD) take a long time to open up. I am clueless as to what is going on.

What does this mean and what should I do? I think (not sure) that this began after I did some HP software updates which I've never, ever done but it was strongly suggested to me to do so. I'd love to undo those now but don't know how.

I have an HP Compaq Pavilion a1030n with WinXP home edition (sp2), use IE& and OE6 and my security is Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2006 - which is now giving me strange message prompts about my firewall. I also have Verizon FIOS and 504 RAM. My scan always come out clean and I keep everything updated.

Needless to say, I am hysterical, frantic and desperate for any and all assistance. I tremble at the thought of having to go back to the original restore and lose absolutely everything.

Please advice. I'm in quite a messy bind here. Thanks in advance! :'(

run an online virus scanner such as trend micro house call and see if it comes up with something.

back up your data as soon as you can.

download a copy of memtest86 and see if your memory is crapping out by booting to the cd and running the ram test.

call an old priest and a young priest, lock the room...

:-P everyone can use a little humor in times like these

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.