My computer not longer recognises that there is a CD/DVDROM attached to it. Power is still available to the CDROM unit, the door will open and if a disc is instered the green light on the side of the door will flash. However the unit will no longer autoplay and no CD/DVD drive is showing up on 'My Computer'.

I tried a system restore but that didnt help.

I've seen some similiar problems listed here and you suggested using the xp_cd_dvd_fix.zip to sort it. I've tried downloading that from 2 different threads but I'm getting a message about a corrupted zip and no files to extract. :(

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Did you checked the Data Cable which connects drive to Mainboard ?

It was better if you Post this Problem in Hardware section..:)

Actually no, its a laptop so I didnt think to go taking it apart and poking around inside. :/

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

You might need to contact that vendor if its in Warranty.

To try the fix do the following after taking an export (backup) of your Registry:

1/
Create a text file called xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs

2/
Paste the next lines into it
'Restore CD-Roms and DVD's to Explorer
'xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs
'© Doug Knox - rev 04/14/2002
'Downloaded from www.dougknox.com
'based on cdgone.reg

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WshShell, Message

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr\"
Set WshShell = Nothing

Message = "Your CD/DVD-Rom drives should now appear in Windows Explorer." & vbCR
Message = Message & "You may need to reboot your computer to see the change."

MsgBox Message, 4096,"Finished!"

3/
Double-click on xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs to run it. You can see from the script what it does (changes the Registry). Then Reboot and fingers crossed.

Doesn't always work & I've never needed to try it! Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.