When I hit Ctrl Alt Del keys to view Windows Task Manager it doesn't pop up. I get a message that Task Manager has been turned off by administrator. About 1/2 year ago I got rid of a lot of Trojans on the computer and have not used task manager since. I went through a lot of debugging files then, and now run Webroot and Zone Alarm. Is there another way to view task manager? How and where do I turn it back on?

Your help would help and is greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

here is a registry hack to enable or disable Windows NT TaskManager. The same registry hack applies to Windows 2000 and Windows XP Home/Professional.

Press Start > Run the type regedit and click OK.

Click this key and expand the folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Navigate to:

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

On the right hand pane, look for:

DisableTaskMgr

Double click DisableTaskMgr and change the value to 1. Click ok and reboot.

Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1=Enablethis key, that is DISABLE TaskManager
Value: 0=Disablethis key, that is Don't Disable, Enable TaskManager

For Windows XP Professional Only you can also do the following.

As part of the enhanced management available in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, rather than risking a registry change, as an administrator you can enable or disable Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro's TaskManager using Group Policy Editor. This can be applied to the local policy. Note: if you are trying to override your organizations group policy, you can't. As soon as you re-authenticate to the domain, the domain or OU Group Policy will rewrite the registry setting. But if the TaskManager was accidently disabled or you need to control this item for a set of standalone boxes this is for you:

* Click Start
* Click Run
* Enter gpedit.msc in the Open box and click OK
* In the Group Policy settings window
o Select User Configuration
o Select Administrative Templates
o Select System
o Select Ctrl+Alt+Delete options
o Select Remove Task Manager
o Double-click the Remove Task Manager option

And as I mentioned above, since the policy is Remove Task Manager, by disabling the policy, you are enabling the Task Manager.

Got XP Home Edition - use the registry edit.

Have a look at AnVir Task Manager Free.
http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerfree

Its features:
- Monitor and manage processes, services, startup programs, internet connections, DLLs, drivers, locked files
- Alerts on new startups, block undesired startup programs
- Minimize windows to system tray and save taskbar space
- Quick access to last launched programs and last opened folders in system tray
- Dynamic icons in tray for CPU, memory and disk load
- Automatically change process priority
- Permanently block undesired processes
- Monitor and manage processes threads and handles
- Get processes performance statistics

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.