If I want to block all users from accessing a site such as say myspace.com on a single computer what is the easiest way to block.

(if possible in all browsers, so that if they install firefox or opera it will still be denied)

Never put this into practice, would the HOSTS file work??? or a registry entry like

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Spyware Security Fix ( Block Bad Sites )
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\ ]
"msn"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\myspace.com]

I know it in principle but not in practice.

Thank you in advance

-AGITA

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Restricting the user from the hosts file and then putting

myspace.com 127.0.0.1

Will work.

However you should really install something on your gateway such as a proxy server or web filter.

Websense is very expensive but is windows based. A few other free ones are out there but I would recommend getting a proxy going for the long term proper solution.

hosts file fix will work alright. there are quite a few solutions to implement on the gateway server as well

Cool, I'll use the hosts file.(for now) Its on a workstation without a server so I want to keep it as discreet as possible. I know how to use it but I've never used it before. And I did'nt know if that was what I needed or not.

thanks, i'll give'er a whirl.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.