Ok, here's the deal. I have a Dell Dimension 5000 which initially came with a 19 inch CRT. I got rid of the CRT and replaced it with a 20 inch Dell 2001FP. When I connected it up initially the FP monitor operated perfectly at its native resolution of 1600 x 1200 and refresh rate of 60 mhz. I could read everything comfortably, webpages filled the screen porportionately etc

I then had a problem with my hard drive which necessitated a clean install. Even though the monitor is operating a 1600 x1200 and at 60 mhz, the image, icons and webpages etc on the screen are very very small. What has gone wrong????? How could it work perpectly and then not????

WHILE I COULD USE THE RESOLUTION SLIDER TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM IT WOULD MEAN THAT MY MONITOR WOULD NOT BE OPERATING AT IT OPTIMUM!!!

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO RUN THE MONITOR AT ITS OPTIMUM SETTINGS (NATIVE RESOLUTION (1600 X 1200 AND 60MHZ) AND STILL ENJOY PROPORTIONATE MONITOR IMAGES.

I AM NOT A TECHIE!!! SO PLEASE KEEP THE TECH LANGUAGE SIMPLE AND EASY TO FOLLOW

PLEASE HELP?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm not sure what you're seeing-Does the image fill the entire screen, or is there a border between the image and the screen?
Have you checked to see if the video driver is installed? Have you looked for an uodated driver?

Try this although I've no idea how your settings got screwed in the first place:

Right click on the Desktop and select Properties

Click Settings/Advanced/DPI and select your desired setting.

Go back and click Appearance/Advanced and select the item ICON. Select the size you want and then OK out of Properties.

I have checked the hardware manager and all the drivers are installed. There are no question marks or exclamation marks. I have downloaded the only available driver from the Dell website which optional. If I open up a web page then page is in the middle of the screen with a huge blank are to the right hand and left.

I have adjusted the DPI settings already and changed the Icon settings etc. They are still not having the desired effect. Some of the font sizes are very big while others are very small?

AM I RIGHT IN SAYING THAT I CAN RETAIN THE NATIVE RESOLUTION OF THE MONITOR (1600X1200) AND STILL HAVE PROPORTIONATE SCREEN THATS COMFORTABLY READ.

I think this is a drivers problem just by looking at the history.

I've got two minitors attached to XP; one 16:9 at 1680 x 1050 and the other 4:3 at 1280 x 1024 and everything is 100% correct and in proportion.

I moved to 1440 x 900 and it remained in proportion. So correct beahviour is as you expect.

I can see your dilemma - working from the Dell driver on the basis that it's a Dell screen. What Graphics card does the PC use and are the drivers from that source of potential use? the Plug and Play side of XP should take care of identifying the monitor to the graphics driver.

EDIT: Forgot to say - look at your BIOS settings; Video BIOS shold be enabled and your AGP settings (if applicable) should be motherboard compatible (which I would expect by default).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.