1. when i watch dvds from nero essentials and play videos and files from windows media player, but when i watch youtube videos, and watch videos from flv player, there are no sounds!

2. i have tried the windows audio service troubleshoot, but apparently, my windows audio has started and is running.

3. i used to have c-media mixer and soundman.exe running on the tray, and when i double click it, it says, i have no active mixer. and that i have no audio device. now, i disabled both on my startup. sndvol32.exe also says i have no active mixer.

4. i can't hear system sounds as well, like the opening sound of windows and such.

5. i am using realtekac97, and i am using an onboard sound card. it seems i have the right driver, since i'm able to hear sound from windows media player, but no sound from flv player! weird!

i have googled a lot of forums already but i have never encountered anyone which has the same case as mine! any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1. when i watch dvds from nero essentials and play videos and files from windows media player, but when i watch youtube videos, and watch videos from flv player, there are no sounds!

2. i have tried the windows audio service troubleshoot, but apparently, my windows audio has started and is running.

3. i used to have c-media mixer and soundman.exe running on the tray, and when i double click it, it says, i have no active mixer. and that i have no audio device. now, i disabled both on my startup. sndvol32.exe also says i have no active mixer.

4. i can't hear system sounds as well, like the opening sound of windows and such.

5. i am using realtekac97, and i am using an onboard sound card. it seems i have the right driver, since i'm able to hear sound from windows media player, but no sound from flv player! weird!

i have googled a lot of forums already but i have never encountered anyone which has the same case as mine! any help would be appreciated. thanks!

in control panel open sound and audio, go to the audio tab and ensure all are using the same devices and check use default devices only. then open volume control and click on options then properties ands select the correct mixer device and put a check mark beside midi. then adjust the volume according. as for the windows audio you have to select a audio scheme to use, on the audio and sound select the sound tab and choose a sound scheme to use for windows.

thanks for the reply!

1. i was able to do up until the 'check use default device only'. the defauld device for sound playback and sound recording is 'Modem #0', which i'm quite sure of, is not my sound device. i have built-in modem in my motherboard. note also, that i have 'No audio device.' in the sound tab.

2. the volume control is not displayed in my system tray.

3. in the sounds tab, when i press 'Play' to hear any windows sound, for example, Asterisk, this message pops: Windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Error.wav. Your sound card may be in use.

thank you!

Do you have a build in sound card or a PCI card.
get the latest drives for it and install. as for the sound and playback change that from modem to the name of your card.
as for not able to play sound because device is in use. the update should fix this. some other program that uses the sound channel does not realease, after finish using it, hence the error message.

thanks for the reply!

1. i was able to do up until the 'check use default device only'. the defauld device for sound playback and sound recording is 'Modem #0', which i'm quite sure of, is not my sound device. i have built-in modem in my motherboard. note also, that i have 'No audio device.' in the sound tab.

2. the volume control is not displayed in my system tray.

3. in the sounds tab, when i press 'Play' to hear any windows sound, for example, Asterisk, this message pops: Windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Error.wav. Your sound card may be in use.

thank you!

1. windows is actually confused with the build of my sound card driver (if you are referring to the make/model and stuff) it initially detected that i have a C-Media AC97. i got the proper drivers, but it didnt work. after googling, i found out that i may have the Realtek AC97 sound card. i installed the drivers and got sound for WMP and Nero Essentials. but no sound from FLV player and windows. seeing this, i have the latest drivers from Realtek AC97. or is it possible, i have the wrong driver and it's neither C-Media nor Realtek?

2. for the sound playback and recording, the only option in the list box is the Modem #0 as windows says i have no audio device.

I have this same problem!!!!

Can your start a new thread and post instead

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.