I have a customer running Vista and IE 7.0.6000.16643

She can successfully navigate our Web site except when she comes to one of our password protected links. The moment she clicks on one, she gets a message that says: IE has stopped working. Windows will close IE... etc. We will notify you if there is a solution to the problem etc.

I'm mystified about this. I don't run Vista and my Windows XP works perfectly.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Does a Data Execution Prevention message pop up on the taskbar by any chance? Does the page have any flash objects, or active x controls or similar?

Scru, The page has nothing special in the way of objects... just straight html page. I don't know if a data execution prevention message pops up, but it is a great question and I'll investigate.

Well I hope that's the problem because beyond that I don't know why it should (and it would be easy to fix). It used to happen to me on IE until I turned IE DEP off. But honestly, DEP shouldn't be blocking a plain HTML page. If this problem is common enough, and you have some time on your hands, you can virtualise a windows vista OS (for free) and try to reproduce the problem since it could pose problems to your clients who use Vista.

I hope you get a fix that doesn't require that though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.