Hi - I am getting runtime errors on certain web pages / sites. Anyone know what causes them and how to fix them? I have the latest IE and Windows 2k with all the patches.
I have done searchs on this but not yet found a good answer. Most want to sell me a product.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

runtime errors are caused by a bug in the software program you are using at the time of the errror.
So it could be a bug in you install of IE or a program that the certain sites /pages are using for one reason or another ,like Java or maybe a sound player .!!
What is the full error message it's telling you ,or does it just say you have a runtime error .
Maybe post a link here to one of the sites in question .

Hi - thanks for replying.

The full error message is

"Runtime error has ocurred. Do you want to debug? Line 155 Error IWidth is undefined"

The actual line and error changes depending on what page I am on. This particular message comes from http://www.onlineweather.com/v4/uk/city/Enfield.html
I go to the index page then follow a city link and the message apears.

Cheers

David

runtime errors are caused by a bug in the software program you are using at the time of the errror.
So it could be a bug in you install of IE or a program that the certain sites /pages are using for one reason or another ,like Java or maybe a sound player .!!
What is the full error message it's telling you ,or does it just say you have a runtime error .
Maybe post a link here to one of the sites in question .

Try this in IE go to tools ,internet options /advanced ,in the browsing section near the top ,check off disable script debugging .

Thank you Caperjack - that certainly gets rid of the messages. Ahhhhhh smoother browsing :)

Thank you Caperjack - that certainly gets rid of the messages. Ahhhhhh smoother browsing :)

Your welcome ,Glad to have been able to help you

Try this in IE go to tools ,internet options /advanced ,in the browsing section near the top ,check off disable script debugging .

I have been getting the runtime error "Line 1 - Object expected" when trying to open incoming messages in my hotmail account. After answering either yes or no to "Debug?", nothing happens. The messages won't open. I tried disabling the script debugging as you suggested, and that works, but then I get "errors on page" in the status bar at the bottom of the page and the messages still won't open.

Over the last few months I have been getting more and more IE runtime errors. First they were limited to msnbc.com and caused IE to hang with no error message. Then I began having the hotmail problem mentioned above. Now I am getting 6 or 8 runtime errors (non-fatal) every time I go to a new page in cnn.com. It's like a cancer!

The non-fatal errors are just a nuisance. The real problem is the fatal errors that result in IE hanging or not functioning.

My PC is a Compaq EVO D510, 2GHz, Windows XP SP1, IE 6.0.

I am running Window Washer 5.1, Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware 6.0, and Spybot Search and Destroy. Could these have anything to do with my problems?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Quentin

Ivan, welcome to DaniWeb!

You should have started a new thread instead of tagging onto someone else's.

You're problem shouldn't be related to the programs you mentioned, but it does seem to be malware related. You should try the steps recommended in the thread "Helping Yourself" in the Security forum (http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html).

If the problem persists, post a hijackthis log (explained in that thread) in the Security forum.

Ivan, welcome to DaniWeb!

You should have started a new thread instead of tagging onto someone else's.

You're problem shouldn't be related to the programs you mentioned, but it does seem to be malware related. You should try the steps recommended in the thread "Helping Yourself" in the Security forum (http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html).

If the problem persists, post a hijackthis log (explained in that thread) in the Security forum.

Thanks, dlh6213! I will proceed as you have recommended.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.