Dear Kaninelupus,

I got rid of/fixed the items you indicated in HijackThis and then I went to that link on the web that tells how to reset the hosts file. But when I went into the Etc. folder under Drivers these were the only folders in it: hosts.old, lmhosts.sam, networks, protocol, and services. I don't know whether I should rename any of these, give that they're not named "Hosts"?

Let me know how you think I should proceed...

thanks!!
Kathleen

• O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

Lastly, read herehttp://www.removevirus.org/how-to-guides/how-to-reset-hosts-file-xp-vista-windows-7/ and follow instructions on resetting Hosts file, as appears to have been hijacked

Will check back in later, as have to go out :)

Don't stress... is just fine :)

The original "hosts" file actually has no file-type prefix... but it also has no active content from memory. If you are really worried, here's how to recreate new Hosts file:

Open Notepad (open start menu, go to Accessories, right-click and select "run as Admin"
Copy/paste content from link I gave you.
Go to the File menu, and select "Save As" -> enter Hosts as the name (no file type) and ensure "ANSI" is set as encoding.
Wala - you have successfully recreated the Hosts file.

Windows doesn't activate the Hosts file by default. Am too tired to go into a full definition, but here is a Wiki for a (rather technical) definition... Google for something more understandable. Is most commonly used for local domain redirects, but is all to commonly hijacked for more malicious intents.

BTW, Hosts.old is simply the original Hosts file, with a ".old" prefix added so is retained but deactivated (rather than deleting). The tool linked in the site I posted will do exactly the same... is it recommends either using the tool or following instructions to reset manually, not both :)

OK so here's what I've got in that "etc" folder now: all those previous folders I named to you in the last message and a text document (.txt) called "Hosts" that contains a notepad-created list of the pasted stuff with # signs in front of it that the webpage you sent me had me paste in there. Hope this is all good?

Thanks so much for all your help. I really don't know how you manage to have such a huge heart as to do this for unknown people like myself. Wish I could send you a huge bouquet of flowers or something....

-Kathleen

Don't stress... is just fine :)

The original "hosts" file actually has no file-type prefix... but it also has no active content from memory. If you are really worried, here's how to recreate new Hosts file:

Open Notepad (open start menu, go to Accessories, right-click and select "run as Admin"
Copy/paste content from link I gave you.
Go to the File menu, and select "Save As" -> enter Hosts as the name (no file type) and ensure "ANSI" is set as encoding.
Wala - you have successfully recreated the Hosts file.

Windows doesn't activate the Hosts file by default. Am too tired to go into a full definition, but here is a Wiki for a (rather technical) definition... Google for something more understandable. Is most commonly used for local domain redirects, but is all to commonly hijacked for more malicious intents.

BTW, Hosts.old is simply the original Hosts file, with a ".old" prefix added so is retained but deactivated (rather than deleting). The tool linked in the site I posted will do exactly the same... is it recommends either using the tool or following instructions to reset manually, not both :)

No probs - glad to hear things back on track :)

BTW, got a mental block on the technical term, but the hash # at the start of the line ensures the following text is inactive - used where descriptions and examples are provided.

Well thank you, once more. You have been absolutely grand. I was in Amazon for several hours yesterday without getting a single IE popup--HOORAH!

Smiles all round - and at least you have a few more tools in your kit-belt for next time. Just be sure to mark thread as solved to avoid other "Help-Me's" chiming in :)

Sing out if you get stuck again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.