Hello,

Is there anyone who can guide me through how to map a network drive in Vista Home Premium?

I am trying at connect to a Samba server from my laptop. I already have a user name and password for the share which I can connect to from my XP pro machine but Vista won't have it.

I have googled and found many posts about local security policy but I am getting a bit confused! So far I have attempted to map it but it won't accept the username/password combination.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This is an ongoing problem for many people and you might have to upgrade your Windows Vista to solve the problem but this is the best fix I know of...
Go into Administrator Tools>Local Security Policy>Local Policies>Security Options then go under the Policy Key: Network Security - LAN Manager Authentication Level and then change the value to Send LM and NTLM responses, then try to map your drive.

Hope this helps!
Austin

Hi thanks for the advice but Home Premium doesn't have a Local Security Policy. I have a read a few ways of editing the registry but these seem to have done nothing.

Check the firewall setting and security policy. this should solve your problem. I feel its the firewall setting that are causing the problems

Hi. I have double checked everything. I have switched off my anti-virus and disabled Windows Firewall.
It still won't work, anymore ideas? Please.

I haven't found the solution but I have found a work around.
Use FileZilla to connect via SSH, it did the trick for me. I can now access my files on the Samba server.

I think the only way to fix this problem is to upgrade your windows vista and then do the fix that explained in my earlier post.

I dont know if i understood you right, but follow this...

Start>>>Control Panel>>>Network and Sharing Center

Than, under SHARING AND DISCOVERY, make sure NETWORK DISCOVERY, FILE SHARING, and PUBLIC FOLDER SHARING is turned to ON...

If you have PASSWORD PROTECTED SHARING turned to on, than you will need a password for PUBLIC FOLDER SHARING...if its off, you wont need it...

I hope this helped...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.