I have a computer that started out with an error stating that the ntfs.sys file was missing or corrupted. I tried the guidelines in the MS Knowledge Base for renaming the file and copying the one from the XP CD. I did that about 5 times, but it did not work. One problem I had was that the instructions said to eject the CD before exiting the Recovery Console, but I couldn't do that. Then, I tried to re-install/repair XP, but I got an error saying that the ASMS file could not be found. I fixed that error as well. Now, I this PC hangs as I install XP as 34 minutes are remaining. I have disconnected everyting except the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I have also re-booted at least 10 times. There is some very important data on the hard drive. Just wondering what else I can do to fix this without losing the data.

Sorry for the long posting

In addition, I have reviewed the pnplog.txt, setuperr.log, and setupact.log files. I can't tell based on the codes what hardware they refer to.

Looking at the setupact.log file, the last file copied successfully is c:\windows\system32\dllcache\netfix.cat. Then there seems to be a problem with Rundll32. Then I get a message saying "Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security. An extended error has occurred."

Does anyone know how to solve this without doing a clean install?

Hi,

I dont know about your problem but i do know how you can recover your files. If you dave access to a computer that works and has a cd burner go here http://www.ubcd4win.com/ and download the package install it and folow the instructions on the site this will make an xp live boot disc image loaded with tools then burn it to a disk and boot form it once running you will be able to brows your files and save them to your network or a external hdd then reinstall your computer from scrach. I hope this helps.

Hi,

I dont know about your problem but i do know how you can recover your files. If you dave access to a computer that works and has a cd burner go here http://www.ubcd4win.com/ and download the package install it and folow the instructions on the site this will make an xp live boot disc image loaded with tools then burn it to a disk and boot form it once running you will be able to brows your files and save them to your network or a external hdd then reinstall your computer from scrach. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I followed what you said and was able to pull all of my critical data. You saved more than just a computer.

Thanks for the info. I followed what you said and was able to pull all of my critical data. You saved more than just a computer.

Im glad it helped you and that is a very usfull disk keep it for future but then i guess you will have fun ttfn

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.