my cousins computer that i am on right now is slow as you dont know and its horrible can someone help me and also its about 3 years old too!!! my 8 year old comp is faster than this one.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Sapporo

you should re.make your partitions and then format all of them and install a fresh copy of windows! u'll get a difference!

heeey guys i need help my sony laptop vgn-bx195sp fn key is not working after installation of window xp

heeey guys i need help my sony laptop vgn-bx195sp fn key is not working after installation of window xp

Hi suggest u might get a better response if you start a new thread, as this could be an involved problem - just a thought

ps - look closely at the button and ensure that it is not stuck.

regards

my cousins computer that i am on right now is slow as you dont know and its horrible can someone help me and also its about 3 years old too!!! my 8 year old comp is faster than this one.

Hi , maybe first check the used space of the hard disk drive , as the more over about 50% is used the noticably slower the system will become.
At less than 20% you should get an advisory message from Windows

start > my computer : right click on local disk : properties

consult the pie chart

uninstall any unregistered and expired trialware utilities via add/remove in
start > control panel
(do not uninstall any system related programs)

For XP windows

check the disk file structure
start . run : enter "CHKDSK /F /R"
enter Y in popup window
enter button to exit
restart system
allow to run - there are 5 tests

or as per

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/kbtip.mspx

Start Fresh!!! Easiest thing to do!

Convince your cousin to do it :P

What is the current OS?

If you are averse to doing a clean install, then try this, but make sure that all the hardware is problem-free. No point trying a software fix when the hardware is at fault.

-uninstall programs that you know for sure are problematic.

- Do a disk cleanup. Use the Windows built-in utility and get rid of temp files, empty the recycle bin and clear up the browser cache.

- Run a full anti-virus scan with the latest definitions file. You can try AVG 8 Free editions. I use it, and it works well; it's unintrusive, gives very few false positives and generally does a fine job.

-Run a spyware scan using Spybot Search & Destroy.

-Run a full disk defrag using Diskeeper 2008. I use this, and it's excellent for clearing up fragmentation from a badly neglected disk. Get the free trial version from the Diskeeper site. Run a manual defrag if you wish, or you can leave it on automatic and let it do it's job.

Hopefully this should put things back in order.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.