my cousins computer that i am on right now is slow as you dont know and its horrible can someone help me and also its about 3 years old too!!! my 8 year old comp is faster than this one.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

you can insert extra ram to make faster just an advice

true but i want to take off unnceseery programs

you should re.make your partitions and then format all of them and install a fresh copy of windows! u'll get a difference!

not my computer

You could try running something like CleanUp! you can get it from stevengould.org, It is probably the best cleaner I have used.

PCFReSH

heeey guys i need help my sony laptop vgn-bx195sp fn key is not working after installation of window xp

heeey guys i need help my sony laptop vgn-bx195sp fn key is not working after installation of window xp

Hi suggest u might get a better response if you start a new thread, as this could be an involved problem - just a thought

ps - look closely at the button and ensure that it is not stuck.

regards

my cousins computer that i am on right now is slow as you dont know and its horrible can someone help me and also its about 3 years old too!!! my 8 year old comp is faster than this one.

Hi , maybe first check the used space of the hard disk drive , as the more over about 50% is used the noticably slower the system will become.
At less than 20% you should get an advisory message from Windows

start > my computer : right click on local disk : properties

consult the pie chart

uninstall any unregistered and expired trialware utilities via add/remove in
start > control panel
(do not uninstall any system related programs)

For XP windows

check the disk file structure
start . run : enter "CHKDSK /F /R"
enter Y in popup window
enter button to exit
restart system
allow to run - there are 5 tests

or as per

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/kbtip.mspx

Start Fresh!!! Easiest thing to do!

Convince your cousin to do it :P

What is the current OS?

If you are averse to doing a clean install, then try this, but make sure that all the hardware is problem-free. No point trying a software fix when the hardware is at fault.

-uninstall programs that you know for sure are problematic.

- Do a disk cleanup. Use the Windows built-in utility and get rid of temp files, empty the recycle bin and clear up the browser cache.

- Run a full anti-virus scan with the latest definitions file. You can try AVG 8 Free editions. I use it, and it works well; it's unintrusive, gives very few false positives and generally does a fine job.

-Run a spyware scan using Spybot Search & Destroy.

-Run a full disk defrag using Diskeeper 2008. I use this, and it's excellent for clearing up fragmentation from a badly neglected disk. Get the free trial version from the Diskeeper site. Run a manual defrag if you wish, or you can leave it on automatic and let it do it's job.

Hopefully this should put things back in order.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.