Im having trouble opening files such as my control panel or my properties to open my screen savers etc.. it keeps saying my Rundll32.exe file is missing and the only way i can think that i dont have it anymore is that someone or somehow it was removed or deleted and i was wondering if you could help me find it or how i can fix the problem. Was hoping someone could tell me how to locate deleted files because i know even though u delete files and uninstall things they are still in your computer i was just wondering if you could help me with that. thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm having trouble opening files such as my control panel or my properties to open my screen savers etc.. it keeps saying my Rundll32.exe file is missing and the only way i can think that i dont have it anymore is that someone or somehow it was removed or deleted and i was wondering if you could help me find it or how i can fix the problem. Was hoping someone could tell me how to locate deleted files because i know even though u delete files and uninstall things they are still in your computer i was just wondering if you could help me with that. thanks!

Rundll32.exe means you are probably running Win9x. Your best bet is to find another system running the same version of the OS, copy the file from the Windows directory (where it normally lives) to a floppy, then copy it to the Windows directory on the target machine. Un-deleting a file can be tricky under Windows; this is easier.

"CAUSE:

• This problem can occur if the "drivers=mmsystem.dll" line is missing from the [boot] section of the System.ini file.

• THERE ARE TWO POSSIBLE RESOLUTIONS :
  • To correct this problem, follow these steps:
  • 1. Click RUN -->in the OPEN box type "msconfig" without quotations-->Click OK.
  • 2. Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to edit the System.ini file.
  • 3. Add the following line to the [boot] section of the file:

drivers=mmsystem.dll

• 4. Save and then close the System.ini file.
  • 5. Restart your computer.

OR

• Insert your original Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive, open an MS-DOS prompt, and navigate to the folder on the CD that contains the setup .cab files.
  • These will be files numbered in sequence with names like Win98_21.cab, Win98_22.cab, etc.
  • Within that directory, find the first CAB file name in sequence.
  • Now enter the command--> EXTRACT/LC:\Windows /A win98_21.cab rundll32.exe,--- replacing Win98_21.cab with the actual lowest-numbered CAB file name.
    NOTE: This will extract a fresh copy of Rundll32.exe and put this essential file directly into your Windows folder.

NOTE:This problem can occur when the System.ini file has been replaced with the System.cb file.

• ALSO SEE MORE WINDOWS 98/Me ERROR MESSAGES -PASTE THIS URL IN THE ADDRESS SECTION OF YOUR BROWSER: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdefault.aspx%3fscid%3dfh%3bEN-US%3bw98errmsg <32>

"

Rundll32.exe means you are probably running Win9x. Your best bet is to find another system running the same version of the OS, copy the file from the Windows directory (where it normally lives) to a floppy, then copy it to the Windows directory on the target machine. Un-deleting a file can be tricky under Windows; this is easier.

Fantastic! Thank you much, TallCool1, Michael Rudas! I was able to find a neighbor w/Win98, copied the "rundll32.exe" and now can access Control Panel. You saved me (at least for now) from having to reload OS. What a service!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.