I just noticed today that I cannot access my System Restore applet. I've never had a problem before, and I don't recall installing (or doing) anything which would affect it. When I try to access it, I get a 'send an error report' alert, saying "Run a DLL as an App" has encountered a problem, etc., etc. When I send a report, I get kicked out of System Properties (if that's how I got there). Needless to say, I get no report feedback from Microsoft.

I haven't noticed any other problems, though. I'm running XP Pro SP2, on an ASUS A7A 266 MB, with an Athlon 2600+ CPU, 768 MB PC133 RAM, and an eVGA GeForce MX2 400 video card. I've run Ad-Aware, and cleaned out the usual (minor) culprits, and I just finished a virus scan (clean).

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

First of all you will not get any feedback from microsoft cause all the error report does it send it to microsoft where they can have it in there DB...... What i would try to do is run it in safe mode see if you can if you see cant then i would say it is windows causing the prob. what i would do from there is go an disable system restore and then reinable it.

Is there any more specific information available in the error message dialog box (under a "more info" button, perhaps? If so, please post it in its entirety.

The info I'm looking for would be similar to the following format:

AppName: rundll32.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.0 ModName: srrstr.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1142 Offset: 00009765

In the mean time, you can try:

1. http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=35941

2:

1. Click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services.
  2. Right-click System Restore Service and click Properties.
  3. From the Startup Type drop-down, select Disabled.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Close the Services and Administrative Tools windows.
  6. Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and click the System Restore tab. The System Restore tab should now display properly; however, the System Restore service will be disabled.
  7. Enable System Restore and click Apply.

Here's the info:
AppName: rundll32.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: srrstr.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 000099b2
---------------
However, running the sr.inf:install solved the problem. Had to browse around, a bit, to find the various files it wanted, including some on the WinXP install disk. Thank you all, very much, for the quick response, and (especailly) for the resolution.

...running the sr.inf:install solved the problem. Had to browse around, a bit, to find the various files it wanted, including some on the WinXP install disk. Thank you all, very much, for the quick response, and (especailly) for the resolution.

Glad we could help, and good job on getting yourself through the process! :)

commented: Nice one! +2

First of all you will not get any feedback from microsoft cause all the error report does it send it to microsoft where they can have it in there DB...... What i would try to do is run it in safe mode see if you can if you see cant then i would say it is windows causing the prob. what i would do from there is go an disable system restore and then reinable it.

...not always true but yes, most the time. I have seen where a device driver causes error report and then after the report gets analyzed it launches a web page with more info about the device driver that was causing the problem. Obviously that's not the case here but sometimes it DOES help to send the error report. Microsoft's aim there was to catch common issues with the error reporting mechanism and fix them in service packs or direct users to the appropriate vendor for updates.

Here's the info:
AppName: rundll32.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: srrstr.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 000099b2
---------------
However, running the sr.inf:install solved the problem. Had to browse around, a bit, to find the various files it wanted, including some on the WinXP install disk. Thank you all, very much, for the quick response, and (especailly) for the resolution.

:confused: I have the identical problem. Pardon the ignorance but could you explain "running the sr.inf:install etc." I have tried the Run dialog and get a message that I have incorrect parameters.

Hi GeoffC,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

Apologies for that. I will do as you ask. PS A Wombat would have to be an Aussie as am I.

Thanks Geoff.

Oh, and BTW:

PS A Wombat would have to be an Aussie as am I.

Sorry- that was a previous incarnation; I got over it this time 'round... ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.