Hi,
I recently upgraded windows 98 to Xp pro sp2, As a routine.
Every thing went right , when Instalation was completed, The log on to windwos screen was not like windows xp pro , but it is more like windows NT or windows 2000.
How Can I get that familiar windows xp log on and log off screen.
Remember I am the only user on this machine.
Best Regards

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dortz

ndmalam,

logonui.exe is probably to blame. Use the command sfc /scannow from the Windows Command Prompt to restore XPs system files. Once complete, run the Windows Update.

J_

hmm... login for xp pro is like win 2000 and nt... maybe u referring to login for xp home?... they both are different though...

i think he might be referring to the 'sercure' login, where it comes up as a box, and you need to input a username and a password.

There must be an easier way to change from the secure version to the normal xp look one. I never new that the other one existed apart from when the pc goes into sleep or standby.... There has got to be an easier way to do it.

to change from the secure login to the standard login go to the control panel,
select User Accounts,
and then click on the link that says: "Change the way users log on or off"
then select "Use the Welcome Screen"
and click apply options to apply the settings

Use the command sfc /scannow from the Windows Command Prompt to restore XPs system files. Once complete, run the Windows Update.

i believe this is the easiest way to solve your problem. the only other way i can think of is to go into safe mode, and restore logonui.exe from the command line, which is just a pain in the ass if you aren't familiar with dos command line.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.