Most of the people, like myself, that hate Vista are gamers. The standard version (x64) does not run old games such as Red Alert 2, and it does not run any software with a 16-bit installer. It has issues with 32-bit software as well. Finally, the system requirements for new games are higher (usually twice as much for the video card) on Vista then on XP. Every gamer I know agrees with me on this.

The only one I couldnt run so far was diablo 2. I went with lower resolution (800x600) and it works great now.

I cant run any of my old MS-DOS games (yes I still have some), and most of the games included in the First Decade don't work (I bought them all seperately, First decade should work fine for those of you reading this). And, lower res suck balls.

I like Vista. I personally feel its a great improvement over XP. Since it is built over XP, I think a few of the XP glitches are still in the OS unfixed and have become issues of Vista.
However, I strongly believe Vista shouldnt have taken over 6 years to release. It could have been rounded in 3 years but unfortunate for Microsoft, the program was restarted from scratch several times due to WinFS and so many other features they wanted to implement.
Its still a great OS but definitely not the best OS there is.

and more, I feel Windows Media Player is another big bug. Run it and my CPU goes almost full and takes more time to load. WinAMP however is lighter and faster than Windows Media Player. Why doesnt Microsoft ever learn?

I beta tested vista for a year before its release and it had a few nice things about it the most impressive was its ability to recover from fatal errors. The biggest drawbacks (especially after release) was that as in previous versions when the updated device drivers used to be included with the OS (XP is the best example) Vista included none of the peripheral hardware drivers with the OS. This action did big damage to Vista's reputation because when people bought a new computer with Vista and brought it home or to the office none of the peripherals would work. Then they would go to the manufacturer site to get a driver to find that there were no drivers for Vista available for older models. (imagine that) So it was then suggested they purchase new periphals by the manufacturers. This scenario was created due to a lack of completeness on Microsoft's part for allowing the periphal manufacturers to force the buyers of new computers to get new periphals and blame it on Vista. (Oh how they love it when a plan goes through) This created a lot of resentment in the community. then Vista changed the furnature around way too much without giving an easy way for more challenged users to find their way around. (similar to a blind man at home when someone changes the furnature and cabinets around)It now looks much more like my OS10x Macs and is closer to the same directory structure. This created more dissatisfaction amoung the masses. I'm Ok with Vista but my main production machine is still XP because it runs almost twice as fast as Vista on the same hardware.

I like Vista. I personally feel its a great improvement over XP. Since it is built over XP, I think a few of the XP glitches are still in the OS unfixed and have become issues of Vista.
However, I strongly believe Vista shouldnt have taken over 6 years to release. It could have been rounded in 3 years but unfortunate for Microsoft, the program was restarted from scratch several times due to WinFS and so many other features they wanted to implement.
Its still a great OS but definitely not the best OS there is.

I do agree with most of that. I believe that Vista actually should have taken longer. The first versions of Vista were terrible. I am a gamer, but still believe that XP has it's gaming advantages. The current version of Vista, however, is very stable and I like it.

Vista rocks! I haven't touched my Macbook in about three weeks; will probably end up selling it. Not that there's anything wrong with it; in fact I like it a lot. But no sense in having a $1200 paperweight laying around...

Yes, i have had Vista for about 18 Months and like most after using xp vista was a bit odd, however, trial and eroor and i pushed vista as far as one can....of course with a backup just in case, and no matter what it remains like a Timex watch, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. i had to do about 3 reinstalls but i can't complain all things start out experimental, I'll keep my vista thanks you.
and do check this link out about vista
http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

Vista rocks! I haven't touched my Macbook in about three weeks; will probably end up selling it. Not that there's anything wrong with it; in fact I like it a lot. But no sense in having a $1200 paperweight laying around...

LMAO!.......Touche!

I converted my Macbook to a sandwich toaster!

Works great cause it always runs so hot.....great for fryin eggs too!

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4752/71406cookingeggbm2.jpg

By all means......Hehe!

LMAO!.......Touche!

I converted my Macbook to a sandwich toaster!

Works great cause it always runs so hot.....great for fryin eggs too!

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4752/71406cookingeggbm2.jpg

Mate, that's just not right!! What's the poor Book ever done to you?! I mean if you hate it so much, heck I'LL have it!

Just taking an opportunity to get my 2 cents back at those 'MS bashing' Mac Freaks!

Its not that Mac's are bad at all.......
Its all down to personal choice and what you wish to achieve from your computer system.

For me, I just like functionality and compatibility coupled with a greater freedom of hardware/software and networking choices.

The truth hits hard.......Windows is king and I cant wipe the Vista smile from my dial.

woooot!

I have been using Vista for about 3 months and like it. But everyone I speak to hates Vista and have had problems with it. I havent had any hassles , maybe I have just been lucky. Just wondering if there is anyone who likes Vista, or am I the only one?

I think vista is kool, maybe the ppl u talk to are jus unlucky

i have a problem!

somehow i opened all my programs as torrent files.
i deleted the torrent program, but the programs are in unknown application and don't work.
i can't install new programs, cause they don't open.
i am just a stupid blondie with poor English, so please someone explane to me what to do...
the system restore doesn't work,
thank u so much!!!!!!
sorry to post here, but i couldn't find the way ...

i have a problem!

somehow i opened all my programs as torrent files.
i deleted the torrent program, but the programs are in unknown application and don't work.
i can't install new programs, cause they don't open.
i am just a stupid blondie with poor English, so please someone explane to me what to do...
the system restore doesn't work,
thank u so much!!!!!!
sorry to post here, but i couldn't find the way ...

Could a mod please move the post to a proper thread or does she have to do it?

Meanwhile I have never heard of this kind of behaviour, a dodgy Bittorrent client, or a virus? (sometimes the two are synonymous aren't they, hehe;) ). Any ideas anyone??

To vivifys: depending on whether your computer is Vista or XP, go to the relevant forum on this website, and look for a button that says "START NEW THREAD" near the top of the page, it's gold coloured. Click on it, and copy and paste your previous msg there, with some more information about your computer and how and when the problem occured. That should give you a better chance of getting the problem solved.

Good luck, and welcome to Daniweb :)

P.S. Your english sounds/looks better than you give yourself credit for.

My friend told me MSFT is coming with another version of VISTA, I am waiting for that. current version has security issues.

I think some of you should actually read the previous Posts in this thread., It helps keep the posts accurate, and BTW Vista is great, no problems that can't be remedied as of yet!
~Have a wonder-filled week~

Vista rocks...there will always be ppl speakin bad stuff bout big things...lol....

one thing will never make everything happy
thats for sure

I have been using Vista for about 3 months and like it. But everyone I speak to hates Vista and have had problems with it. I havent had any hassles , maybe I have just been lucky. Just wondering if there is anyone who likes Vista, or am I the only one?

dis is perfect to me too

As time go's on things get better youll see the same will happen with vienna unless microsoft gets a fairy to sprinkle some of that expensive glitters

Vista has a lot of bugs, even with SP1 installed.
If you have not experienced any problem till now, then you haven't really used your system.
It has way too many compatibility issues to handle.

I disagree with CyberPunk.
I have been using Vista for more than a year with a complex PC
(Intel Quad Core, triple-boot XP-Vista-Ubuntu,12 hard disks, dual screen, 4 USB keys,
2 printers & 1 scanner, raid 0 & raid 5).
Vista works very well and without a glitch, It feels like an enhanced, more stable version of XP.
Of course one needs substantial hardware to run it fast and smoothly, but when I switched
from Windows 98 to Xp I also needed to upgrade the hardware.
One issue though, if and when the driver database gets corrupted, it becomes impossible
to add any other driver...
I did not find relevant compatibility problem and I explored all the corners of Vista,
also regularly editing the registry
I'm using ShadowProtect to backup my OS disk every day, so when something goes wrong
it takes only 20 minutes to get things right again : this is valid for any Windows OS.
I think most of the people that are criticizing Vista base there opinion on hearsay and did
not even try to use it.

I like Vista very much and i used it for about 6 months.i have any problem with it.

I hate it because it doesn't support full screen mode while operating Turbo C++,and its also doesn't support graphics(bgi) while operating it.

I fought liking windows vista for a year or so but after a while it just grows on you. My first impression of it was that it was slow with tons of bugs but now that sp1 is out the bugs are for the most part fixed. As long as your running a 64 bit system with at least 4 gigs of ram the os will fly.

Hi R25097 :),

I'd like to ask you some basic questions :

• Have you tried installing software for older cameras, cell phones and webcams?
  • Also as said by you, what will you do if you did not know about ShadowProtect and end up corrupting the driver database?
  • Are you aware that companies like Adobe will not be recoding their older software to be compatible in Vista?

I think most of the people that are criticizing Vista base there opinion on hearsay and did
not even try to use it.

I'm perfectly happy to talk about Vista because I have it installed in both of my laptops(triple boot, as yours with XP, Vista and Ubuntu Hardy Heron).
So, I have used it and come across glitches.
Liking Vista or not is perfectly up to you, I'm not forcing you to believe that it's not worth the money, so please don't take up on that tack.

Hope that this message did not offend you in any way.

I've installed vista and used it for about a month ... now I'm using my old XP , I think that vista has many bugs... it'll be better to wait Windows 7 :)

i like our windows vista and all upgrades.
what will be next after vista?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.