hey guys and gals

I am in need of some help. I have a computer I am working on (running xp) that was loaded with malware. The files are also badly fragmented and the computer was very slow. So, I finally got it clean, but defrag does not defrag all the files it says that some files could not be moved and it is still fragmented pretty bad. Now another problem that is happening is when I try to install anything I get an error that says

Setup was unable to create directory C:\name\of\directory\ error 82

this happens no matter what I try to install. I have never seen this error before and not real sure how to fix it.

note: I didn't get this error until after the computer was free of malware so its possible that I deleted something that I wasn't supposed to.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

ok I made a little progress. I appreciate your reply Doctor Inferno. System restore didn't work, there were some directories of the programs in the program files directory and I did delete them but that didn't help either.

I saw that the FS was FAT32 so I figured what the hell, and I converted it to NTFS, and tada I can install programs again.

I am still working on the defrag issue I'll run it again and post back after that.

system restore !!!
you just cleaned a computer of nasties ,you should not have a old restore point! you should have shut off system restore and then turn it back on to rid restore of all nasties .you say restore didn't work ,if you ran the restore and set it to a past point ,you may have reinfected the computer after all your hard work

system restore !!!
you just cleaned a computer of nasties ,you should not have a old restore point! you should have shut off system restore and then turn it back on to rid restore of all nasties .you say restore didn't work ,if you ran the restore and set it to a past point ,you may have reinfected the computer after all your hard work

I didn't fully explain myself. System restore didn't work because it was turned off and then I turned it on after the system was clean. When I wet to try the system restore there were no restore points. thats why I said system restore didn't work.

anyway I think there might still be some nasties on the system its still running slow. I ran at least 10 different scanners and looked at the High jack this log, and nothing is being found anymore. I also tested the hard drive for bad sectors, the test came back good hard drive. I have cleaned the registry with registry mechanic, and I ran defrag and I also added 128MB of RAM and yes I made sure it was the correct RAM and that it was good RAM.

when I run defrag not all the files can be moved and it looks like its pretty well fragmented still.

I have also checked the processes in the task manager and I check the startup tab in msconfig.

The only other thing I can think of doing is to do a clean install of windows.

try combofix ,download it to desktop and run in safe mode ,get it here ,
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix#restore

you don't need to do the windows recover install but its a nice feature ,

another tip. I never shut off system restore until after i clean computer in case something happens when removing junk,a bad restore is better than no restore !

well that did it combofix worked it finally running like it should.

thank you evrybody for your tips

your welcome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.