I've been having a frequent problem where I have a strong internet connection, but neither Firefox nor IE will connect. I get either timeout errors or "can't find the server" errors. This sometimes happens from boot up, but more often happens while I'm surfing. Rebooting usually corrects the problem and I have resorted to using the "netsh winsock reset catalog" command, which helps. However, I shouldn't have to do that everytime I want to use the internet.

Any ideas on what's causing that? Any suggestions for a permanent fix?

I'm running XP. The computer is running on a wireless home network. I have a cable connection.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Have you checked your router settings, just a thought Mike.

Not real sure, but check the ip addys of all the computers/routers on your network. See if any two of them are the same

I have same problem, I ran winsoxfix but it did NOT fix the problem

I have a similar problem but it's becoming progressively worse, to the point where my one labtop won't connect at all no matter what browser I use. The other two labtops in my house are fine and the connection is great for all of them but no can do. I'm kind of new with computers so could anyone tell me how to fix this or maybe a link to a program that can fix this, I'll just use a flashdrive and move it over to my other labtop. Please help, I'm not sure if it's a virus or not but I have two virus scanners and they haven't found anything. Also, and I don't know why this is, but whenever my labtop hit the phase where it can no longer find a webpage it also lost internet connectivity on iTunes and shut down some things that require internet even though I have full 5 bars or connectivity. Maybe it is a virus!? And yes, this happened earlier but I did a system restore as far back as possible, about a week before, and it just today hit the wall again.

I've been having a frequent problem where I have a strong internet connection, but neither Firefox nor IE will connect. I get either timeout errors or "can't find the server" errors. This sometimes happens from boot up, but more often happens while I'm surfing. Rebooting usually corrects the problem and I have resorted to using the "netsh winsock reset catalog" command, which helps. However, I shouldn't have to do that everytime I want to use the internet.

Any ideas on what's causing that? Any suggestions for a permanent fix?

I'm running XP. The computer is running on a wireless home network. I have a cable connection.

I don't know but my say can't find server.help lycan69

mines got great connection but my explorers won't work either i'm running windows vista ultimate tho

I have the same problem im no expert but I think there is some virus or something out there attacking all the old window computers I knw that sounds stupid but idk..and I also have 2 virus scanners running full scans but find nothing! Another prolbem that I think others might have is lets say your on something with XP the color of your bar will be Blue but when you click out its shaded blue well theres something on my XP that does that without me even clicking out the screen...Stupid Window makers making us buy the newer versions by messin with the old ones! looks like ima have to buy a new one..Hope my visit labtop(witch im on right now and works bt the XP desktop wont) doesnt go into the same problem ='[

Wooooow I feal like sht......WIth my Desktop all I had to do was follow these instructions

With internet explorer open:
Go into tools, internet options, connection, Lan Settings and uncheck the proxy server. Home users typically don't use a proxy server.

And now IE works Bt FireFox isnt. My problem may still be active but somewhat fixed now so im happy! :D yay for Yahoo.com/answers.

Unchecking the Proxy Server WORKED!!!! I had this same problem. Now I don't! Thanks.

Dear Lleft you are a hero, I have been looking everywhere for a simple answer. you did it. I have been trying everthing reloading etc. If I had money I would buy you a beer I think this problem came when I used Zillacleaner and it +*###...the proxy The kanjiman

My girl is having the same issue, but with firefox..anyone know how to fix it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.