Hello,

My MSN Messenger and IE are not able to connect as if I am not connected to the Internet.

The error code in MSN Messenger is:
0x81000370

I downloaded HijackThis but I am not sure what is bad and what is good. This is the log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 6:44:14 PM, on 11/9/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp psc 700 series\Bin\hpobrt07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRshutA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\AiO\Shared\Bin\hpoevm07.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOSTS07.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
F:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://amazingautossearch.com/searchbar.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://amazingautossearch.com/searchbar.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1:81
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.mozilla.org/start/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\vtvbued7.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5Cmozilla.org%5CMozilla%5Csearchplugins%5Cgoogle.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\vtvbued7.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: DAPHelper Class - {0000CC75-ACF3-4cac-A0A9-DD3868E06852} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPBHO.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {9C691A33-7DDA-4C2F-BE4C-C176083F35CF} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPIEBar.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USRpdA] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-USRpdA
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HPAiODevice(hp psc 700 series) - 1.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp psc 700 series\Bin\hpobrt07.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Run DAP - {669695BC-A811-4A9D-8CDF-BA8C795F261C} - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\DAP.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Share in Hello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\Program Files\Hello\PicasaCapture.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Share in H&ello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\Program Files\Hello\PicasaCapture.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hotmail.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.msn.com

Please help, I don't care much about IE but Webmessenger is starting to annoy me.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'm far from being an expert on this type of thing, but I noticed that you use Norton Internet Security. I too use this and occasionally encounter the exact same problem as you. Here's a few tips to make sure that its not your firewall that is causing the problem:

1. Try and open Norton Internet Security. If you notice that the security is switched off, and you can't turn it back on again manually, do the following:

Click Start and then Run.... Type services.msc and click OK. In the Services Window, which should now be open, take a look at every service relating to Norton or Symantec. Single-click on each one, and look to the status panel on the left and check to see if it offers the option of starting the service manually. If so, do it. When you have checked all of the related services to make sure they are all started, try opening Norton again, and if the security is back on you should be able to get back into your MSN and IE.

2. Log off and back on again. This may sound stupid, but it has worked many times for me. The reason that it works, to my limited understanding, is that Norton gets confused at times about who is using the program (even if you didn't set the program to have different accounts and privilages), and when you specifically log off (not restart or shut down) and then log back on again it gets a "fresh" user awareness, if you will. This is usually enough to sort the problem out.

Other than the firewall idea I'm not sure what else would be causing the problem. Try all the usual stuff, i.e. anti-spyware scans, anti-virus scans, etc. Also, try emptying your browser's cache, you'd be surprised at how often that solves seemingly immense problems. To do that, right-click on the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop and choose Properties, or if it doesn't exist, go to the Internet Options in the Control Panel. Click Delete Files... and then check the little box which appears before clicking OK.

Well, I'm all out of ideas...I hope one works for you! Let us know ;)

I see that you have NORTON. TRY thee steps...

1) remove all Norton programs (in my case this included NIS, Anti-Virus & SystemWorksl).
2) then downloaded the Norton untilitied to conduct a complete removal of the NIS and Anti-Virus programs. The utilities are: RnisUPG.exe and Rnav2003.exe. These are freeware on the Symantec website.
3) then restarted the PC and try to log in one more time into messanger

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.