Ok here goes - My ex girlfriend got me banned from my favourite game website by slyly logging in (user name and password was preset for ease!!!!) and once in she heartily abused the moderator till he banned her (under my user name) and she logged out without leaving a clue. I sent that site emails explaining the situation to them but they said I am responsible for users on my machine and tuff luck. Now I am searching for a backway in and any help would be welcome. Please think of me as an innocent victim in this case and not some evil person getting back on a site!!!! In the hope that someone has an easy solution for me to get back on the site please let me have it. The following is the information i can give. My PC has windows XP - I have tried removing the gaming software and reinstalling it from the web changed my user id and logged on as a new member (no success)...changed my dyanmic IP number and still cant enter. Changed my ISP that didnt help either. However when i use another computer to access the same site I can use my banned user name and id to enter and eveything is normal!!!! Obvious that some hardware or something from my home pc is tagged and banned by that site and for the life of me i cant figure out what that would be....I cant buy a new computer for this purpose....perhaps i can fully format my entire disk and reload the OS Windows XP but that sound too complex for a bird brain like me and if that doesnt work I will be ready to screammmmmmm anyways. Any quick and easy to use solutions would be terrific and I am guessing that someone would love to get his hands on this problem and helppppppp me recover from a lost love and a gaming site loss!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

They probably have banned your MAC address. Depending on how you connect to the internet and what firewall and/or router you have in place, there are several options:

- if you connect directly via ethernet (like at school), you could swap your NIC card
- if you connect via dialup, you could try borrowing a friend's modem
- if you connect via DSL or cable, get a new modem or router

Note: some routers let you specify your MAC address, so you might be able to change it.

What's a MAC address?
"The Media Access Control address is the unique ID serial number of the Ethernet card in one's computer. Ethernet is a commonly used networking technology, used to link computers together. MAC Addresses are needed in a Local Area Network for computers to communicate. Note that MAC addresses have nothing to do with Apple Macintosh computers."
from www.watchfire.com/products/webxm/glossary.asp
MAC addresses generally look something like "8F-42-B0-03-53-8A"

Good luck. BTW, what did you do to p.o. your gf?

-Zach.

Ok here goes - My ex girlfriend got me banned from my favourite game website by slyly logging in (user name and password was preset for ease!!!!) and once in she heartily abused the moderator till he banned her (under my user name) and she logged out without leaving a clue. I sent that site emails explaining the situation to them but they said I am responsible for users on my machine and tuff luck. Now I am searching for a backway in and any help would be welcome. Please think of me as an innocent victim in this case and not some evil person getting back on a site!!!! In the hope that someone has an easy solution for me to get back on the site please let me have it. The following is the information i can give. My PC has windows XP - I have tried removing the gaming software and reinstalling it from the web changed my user id and logged on as a new member (no success)...changed my dyanmic IP number and still cant enter. Changed my ISP that didnt help either. However when i use another computer to access the same site I can use my banned user name and id to enter and eveything is normal!!!! Obvious that some hardware or something from my home pc is tagged and banned by that site and for the life of me i cant figure out what that would be....I cant buy a new computer for this purpose....perhaps i can fully format my entire disk and reload the OS Windows XP but that sound too complex for a bird brain like me and if that doesnt work I will be ready to screammmmmmm anyways. Any quick and easy to use solutions would be terrific and I am guessing that someone would love to get his hands on this problem and helppppppp me recover from a lost love and a gaming site loss!!!!!!

ok here goes i connect via a dial and my pc has an internal modem......ok what u say may perhaps well be the cause of my block.....so heeding your mail i tried to look up all about MAC addresses and got utterly confused!!!!! Finally I did land on an easy to read site that succintly explained to me that their software changed Mac addresses on PC's with Windows XP like in the flash of an eye but it would cost me USD twenty for the privelage of buying it. I sort of clicked on the relevant buttons and almost bought it and then caution held me back to see what the hell i was doing and I decided to revist your mail and seek your advice as to whether I should buy the blasted thing and would it work!!!!!! Bsically its a home computer with a dial up connection and changing the ISP doesnt do a thing. However using a new PC does connect me to the site and since they havent banned my user name i can go to a friends hous and log in happily using my ISP acccount. Should I buy this twenty dollar magic Mac address changer or is it only hot air. Also is there any way to check that they have grabbed my Mac address and there isnt anything that they have blocked. The IP address i kept changing but no joy there....anyway I seel your adice since you said some sensible things.

What did i do to p/o her off...well thats a long story but in essence i realised that asking another gal out to the pub where your g/fs sister in law is present can get u banned from a web site!!!!!! Strange but true ...she saw me reported me and the rest is history and a ban!!!! Thanks for all the stuff u sent me and now give me some more advice please!!!!!

1. Don't buy the software.
2. You can buy an internal 56K modem for $5 or so
3. Or you could buy an external modem, which might be more expensive
4. Depending on your computer, you could also ask a friend (who doesn't care about accessing your website) to swap his/her modem with you.

All of this requires a certain amount of understanding of computers, you might have to ask a friend to help you with the details.

Good luck!

ok here goes i connect via a dial and my pc has an internal modem......ok what u say may perhaps well be the cause of my block.....so heeding your mail i tried to look up all about MAC addresses and got utterly confused!!!!! Finally I did land on an easy to read site that succintly explained to me that their software changed Mac addresses on PC's with Windows XP like in the flash of an eye but it would cost me USD twenty for the privelage of buying it. I sort of clicked on the relevant buttons and almost bought it and then caution held me back to see what the hell i was doing and I decided to revist your mail and seek your advice as to whether I should buy the blasted thing and would it work!!!!!! Bsically its a home computer with a dial up connection and changing the ISP doesnt do a thing. However using a new PC does connect me to the site and since they havent banned my user name i can go to a friends hous and log in happily using my ISP acccount. Should I buy this twenty dollar magic Mac address changer or is it only hot air. Also is there any way to check that they have grabbed my Mac address and there isnt anything that they have blocked. The IP address i kept changing but no joy there....anyway I seel your adice since you said some sensible things.

What did i do to p/o her off...well thats a long story but in essence i realised that asking another gal out to the pub where your g/fs sister in law is present can get u banned from a web site!!!!!! Strange but true ...she saw me reported me and the rest is history and a ban!!!! Thanks for all the stuff u sent me and now give me some more advice please!!!!!

LOL!!!!!! :D

By the way, I'd have to agree with the suggestion about changing to a different modem. It's a cheap option which sounds likely to resolve the matter. Make sure you delete you intenet connection, uninstall the old modem, power off and then physically replace the modems. Install the new modem if the system doesn't automatically detect and install it, and then set up your internet connection again. Less chance of problems if you do it that way.

Hello,

A modem is a dumb serial device, and there shouldn't be anything in there that identifies you as who you are, in contrast to a ethernet card that does have a MAC address on it.

My guess is that something in your game, perhaps the serial number of the game, is being referenced.

This is also a nice example of why auto-passwords are a bad idea. While tempting, don't use them! That means AOL AIM, YAHOO, MSN... your bank accounts!

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.