Ok Here Goes, I Am Trying To Fix A Messed Up Computer. I Had Done A Fdisk And Format On C. It Is Now Saying That I Have A Missing Operating Stsyem, Please Help!!!!!, I Cannot Get A Prompt Of Any Kind, Need Help......thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Um-

After an fdisk and reformat it will tell you that the operating system is missing, because it is; a format wipes the drive entirely. :mrgreen:

- Can you give us some background as to how/why the system got so h0rked in the first place?

- Which OS are you trying to install?

Yep! You've done it now!

You obviously have used a Windows 98 or similar 'Startup diskette' to 'fdisk' (remove the old partitions and create new ones) and to 'format' (prepare the drive for file storage).

You now need to use the startup diskette to bott to a dos prompt, and issue the commands to install Windows on the hard drive from your Windows CD. Alternatively, you may be able to boot directly from your Windows CD (you may need to change the Boot order of drives in BIOS setup first) and install from that.

If you don't have a Windows CD, you will have to go and buy one!

ok new twist to this story, how do i find out in my bios where my logical block addressing is located?

Motherboard make and model number, or Computer brandname and model version please, and we might be able to give a detailed answer to that question.

There are a kazillion different ways in which motherboard and system manufacturers have presented BIOS settings, and a quick squizz at the motherboard manual is usually needed to answer questions like that.

In Fdisk i assume you kept C: active
On restart did you set CD-Rom as 1st boot device in BIOS & have disk in?

Motherboard make and model number, or Computer brandname and model version please, and we might be able to give a detailed answer to that question.

There are a kazillion different ways in which motherboard and system manufacturers have presented BIOS settings, and a quick squizz at the motherboard manual is usually needed to answer questions like that.

OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND.

I am from Turkey. I have very old laptop Pentium 133 with a problem '' operating system not found'' so I tried to use Win9x boot diskette but then it failed due to some partition problem.
I scanned hard disk it seems it is ok.
I can see BIOS setting at the opening. But laptop is not starting..

How can run my Sharp laptop ?

I will transfer this laptop to my son for this computer training if I can solve the problem.

Is it a harddisk failure? Or operating system failure?

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

may be operating system failure.....try restoring the following files by boot diskette of win98:
io.sys (main boot file for startup execution)
msdos.sys (ASCII based win98 startup follower)

this two files are main for starting win98 try to restore if you have in another partition.

------------------------------------------------------

I think, only way you can use your laptop is reinstall windows from a CD

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

i found a usefull link to understand this problems try this:
www.plasma-online.de/english/ help/almanach/dos_boot.html

------------------------------------------------------

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.